Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net> on 2014/10/22 16:52:44 UTC

Entering fractions and mixed numbers into my tables.

I need to set coordinates for a bulkhead and I use the fraction system.  However, when I try to enter the fractions into the table they end up as dates.  As an example 4-2/3  ends up as
04/02/03.  What must be done to enter mixed numbers into the table and have them remain mixed numbers.

Re: Entering fractions and mixed numbers into my tables

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:52 22/10/2014 -0400, Vincent A. Juliano wrote:
>I need to set coordinates for a bulkhead and I use the fraction
>system. However, when I try to enter the fractions into the table
>they end up as dates.

When you say "table", do you mean a table - in a text document? I'm
guessing that you actually mean a spreadsheet.

>As an example 4-2/3  ends up as 04/02/03. What must be done to enter
>mixed numbers into the table and have them remain mixed numbers.

I think all you need to do is to lose that hyphen (or minus sign).
Try "4 2/3". You can immediately see that this works if you enter
something like "4 4/3". Fractions less than one can be entered as,
for example "0 2/3".

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Entering fractions and mixed numbers into my tables.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> Johnny, I’m talking about the OO.oo text table not the spreadsheet perhaps
> that’s where the difference lies.

Oh, sorry for that. I don't know why I missed that.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Posted by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net>.
Thank you for the suggestion but the hyphen ‘  Does show and when it is removed the mixed fraction reverts to the date type numeration.  Brian Barker’s method seems to work very well so I’ll go with that.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 11:47 22/10/2014 -0400, Vincent A. Juliano wrote:
>On Oct 22, 2014, at 11:32 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 10:52 22/10/2014 -0400, Vincent A. Juliano wrote:
>>>I need to set coordinates for a bulkhead and I use the fraction
>>>system. However, when I try to enter the fractions into the table
>>>they end up as dates.
>>
>>When you say "table", do you mean a table - in a text document? I'm
>>guessing that you actually mean a spreadsheet.
>
>I meant text tables.

Sorry for suggesting otherwise. I'm less familiar with arithmetic in
tables and didn't immediately find how to do this in tables. But as
you say, it's the same.

Brian Barker

Re: Entering fractions and mixed numbers into my tables

Posted by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net>.
I meant text tables.

Eureka!!!! it works.  Migliore di thank you’s