Posted to oro-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2002/05/07 09:47:17 UTC

Re: processing non-english characters

In message <00...@xptfederman>, "Todd Federman" writes
:
>The code below behaves correctly in Windows XP with ORO version 2.0.6. The
>The same code in Solaris with 2.0.6 does perform one substitution and the

Whenever you run into a situation like this where a Java library with
no platform-dependent code or behavior produces different results for
the same program on two different platforms, the problem does not lie
in the library, but something external to it.  It looks like the problem
is happening at compilation time.  You may want to use a unicode escape
if you can't get the Java compiler on Solaris to do the right thing.  Your
problem may have something to do with your locale settings.  For what it's
worth, your program prints the same two strings for me on Linux.

daniel

Re: processing non-english characters

Posted by Todd Federman <to...@toddfederman.com>.
You're right. My problem on Solaris goes away if I read the text from a
database or from an HTML form. The problem only occurs when I hardcode the
string in the Java source code or a JSP file, which I won't even need to do
in my application. Thanks for the pointer.

Todd