Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Peter Monaco <mo...@nuance.com> on 2003/03/21 18:06:16 UTC

Using James as a replacement for sendmail?

Hello-

I'm running sendmail and imapd on my Linux machine to host
my home email domain. I got very excited when I discovered James.
At last, a modern, Java-based, easy-to-configure alternative to the
cryptic obfuscations of sendmail !

However, I really want to access my mail via IMAP, which imapd
lets me do, but James doesn't.

It occurred to me that, if James were to save mail to disk in the
same unix spool file format that sendmail does, then I could replace
sendmail with James, but continue to use imapd (which reads
directly from the spool file) while waiting for the James implementation
of IMAP.

Has anyone written a file repository for James that spools mail
in the traditional Unix fashion?  Or is this a configuration option
I haven't discovered yet?  Or is this a bad idea?

Many thanks for your help,

    -Peter Monaco

RE: Using James as a replacement for sendmail?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> However, I really want to access my mail via IMAP, which imapd
> lets me do, but James doesn't.

James v3

> It occurred to me that, if James were to save mail to disk in the
> same unix spool file format that sendmail does

Also possible for James v3.

	--- Noel