Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com> on 2015/03/04 08:50:20 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Remove .settings of projects in github

Hi everyone,

I saw that there were several commits to .settings the last time and I
wondered why this folder is required in the repository anymore. Here is a
list of the files in a .settings folder (wicket/.settings)

https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/.settings/org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/.settings/org.eclipse.m2e.core.prefs
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/.settings/org.eclipse.pde.core.prefs
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml

I think because maven is used to configure the projects we can remove those
files from the repository and configure it all in maven.

Encoding can be configured by (see
http://maven.apache.org/general.html#encoding-warning):

<properties>

<project.reporting.outputEncoding>UTF-8</project.reporting.outputEncoding>
</properties>

Java Compile-Level can be configured with the compiler-plugin:

    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>3.2</version>
        <configuration>
          <source>1.7</source>
          <target>1.7</target>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>

The project facets are configured by "Maven Integration for Eclipse WTP"
and it receives the information of the web.xml and the packaging configured
in the pom (war/jar). It is preinstalled in Eclipse JEE. (see
http://marketplace.eclipse.org/node/96737)

The only entries to be custom configured are in
org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs containing .deprecations and I wonder if
they are required anymore.

The only thing to be done after importing the project into workspace is to
configure it as maven project. The .settings folder is created through the
m2e plugin based on the pom.xml, web.xml.

Did I overlook something?

What do you think?

kind regards

Tobias

Re: [DISCUSSION] Remove .settings of projects in github

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Tobias Soloschenko <
tobiassoloschenko@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> maybe we can use the maven-eclipse-plugin to apply formatting rules:
>

> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/examples/load-code-styles.html
>
> The plugin itself is not well maintained, but we only need to apply the
> formatting rules to the IDE - I think on IDEA it is ignored, but we have to
> check it.
>
> Does this address your feature?

Everything works for me as far as the new code contributions try to
preserve the current format style of the file they touch.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
One last thing. We have to adjust the servlet-api version in the web.xml
of wicket-example and other web modules (examples version is changed
with the media tags branch) - otherwise the project is created as
dynamic web module with version 2.5 through the m2e wtp integration.

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I prepared a commit for wicket-6.x, too. So if everything is ok with
master - I merge it for wicket-6.x.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Ok, I changed the parent pom and removed wicket-eclipse-settings from
the list of modules and changed the version number to 1. Someone has to
upload version 1 into the central repository, before the commit is
applied to wicket-master - otherwise there would be a lot of errors
while importing the projects. ;-)

I think there is no dedicated parent needed for the settings - we can
keep it as subfolder in wicket. What do you think?

So the way for a wicket developer using eclipse to ensure the formatting
rules would look like this:

1. Go into the markedplace and search for M2E Settings and install it

2. Import the project she/he wants to improve and apply code

For me this looks really simple. :-)

kind regards and thanks a lot for the support Emond!

Tobias

P.S.: I'm going to create the pull request later today - or if it is
required earlier it's the WICKET-5848 in my wicket repo.

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
https://github.com/apache/wicket/commit/9852fc794d7e961ce408ee46641ded2699d22dbe

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Tobias Soloschenko <

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Emond,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
It copies preconfigured settings files from a given directory to .settings of a maven project. I just wanted to discuss it first, before creating a ticket. :-)

I'm going to file in a ticket this afternoon and try to find some time to provide a PR.

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5848

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
Hi,

code formatting is stored in org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs - but we no longer
have these files under version control since commit
2ab4c7c00d2207679c6a10d2aee8b7c5fd624ba3.

So +1 from me to remove the remaining settings. I see nothing of value
in there.

Sven

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Tobias,