Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Sag <ds...@epo.org> on 2006/03/01 13:46:56 UTC

[m2] multi-project problems

Dear people,

I am having my first proper stab at doing a milti-project build, but
naturally have hit some immediate problems.

Firstly I have scoured the maven site and google but can't find any sound
documentation on how the multi-project builds are meant to work.  I did
find this page
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-multi-module.html but it's a
little low on detail.

But from the bits and pieces I could patch together from this mailing list
I have
done the following.

I have created a master pom.xml file that specifies

packaging: pom
version: 2.3-SNAPSHOT (i just made this up for now - yes snapshots are
working)
url: a url for the group of projects
modules: i just listed one module for now
issueManagement: same for all projects so i put it here
ciManagement: same for all projects so i put that here too
organization: EPO
developers: mostly the same for all projects with a few exceptions.
    should I put all of the developers who are common to all projects here
    and then add specific decelopers to the sub-poms on a
    project by project basis?
ditto for contributors
build: the build plugins are the same for all projects
profiles: once again same for all projects, excpet for the
    distributionManagement which varies from one project to the next.
    if i list the main profile definition here can i just override a
profile
    defn with the same id in a sub-pom to add the distributionManagement
data?
dependencies: junit and some of the commons libs are common to all
projects
    assume i declare them here and then declare any additional ones i need
in
    a sub-pom.
reporting: the same for all projects so I put that here.

in my sub-project's pom i have pulled out everything that's already in the
parent. I am not sure what to put in the 'parent' tag though, but tried
setting a parent with the same groupId and artifactId and version as my
parent pom file.

when i try to build now however, the first thing maven does is complain it
can't
download the parent project from any of the repositories and then it gives
up.

naturally the parent is not in any repository as it has never ever been
built before.

so I tried just commenting out the reference to parent in the sub-project
and then,
using the parent pom, mvn clean works fine but compiling fails as it is
not
picking up any of the parent dependencies.

i checked in the maven plugin's project to see how you do it there and i
note that the
version listed as the ant plugin's pom's parent is 2.0 but the parent pom
itself has a version 2.0.1

Could someone please exaplain how this is all meant to work?

cheers

dave

Kind regards,
Dave Sag

Re: [m2] multi-project problems

Posted by David Sag <ds...@epo.org>.
Okay that's going to be useful to know as I know in the mid-term i do not
have the freedom to change the project heiracrchies.  do you (and any
other interested reader) have any pointers on docs relating to the config
of the parent tag in a sub-project?

Kind regards,
Dave Sag

Posted by Piéroni Raphaël <ra...@gmail.com>.