Posted to dev@community.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/04/18 11:44:54 UTC

Re: Re : Re: Project Visualization Tool...

On Saturday, April 18, 2015, <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> It was told the new site would use native json, instead of doap
> But I'm not convinced at all, since Doap is an invaluable source of info,
> documented, and so on

json is also a documented standard, that in general is more known, and I
believe has more tools supporting it.

> then imho it would be better to generate json from doap
>
> I disabled the json edit feature recently since it will cause problems

which problems?

with a defined json it is simple to generate the doap file.

I highly recommend staying at json and using that as base for all our
central data.

rgds
jan i

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 May 2015 at 08:31, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 16 mai 2015 00:30:55 sebb a écrit :

>> > +1

>> > I'm not RDF expert, but this Apache-specific algorithm to find PMC rdf
>> > file seems strange: I understand it is coded/known from projects.a.o xslt
>> > transformation
>> Yes.
>>
>> > But this should be usable from any RDF tooling, no?
>>
>> It's not currently usable except by using special processing.
>>
>> The problem is that the shorthand URL is used by all but about 4 of
>> the PMCs, so it would be a major challenge to get this fixed.
>>
>> Some PMCs are quick to fix such issues; some may take weeks or months
>> to fix even a simple error.
> I think that people don't understand this PMC information rdf file (I didn't
> until our current discussion)
> But with good explanations and visualization help given by projects-new.a.o,
> we can go really faster: I'm ready to try once we're clear :)
>

>> > Another problem I see with these PMC data rdf files is that they seem to
>> > not be really maintained: I doubt PMCs update PMC data rdf files on each
>> > PMC Chair change.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> > That's why I had the idea of generating/updating the chair when
>> > parsing committee-info.txt.
>>
>> Fair enough, but that does not mean the code needs to create yet
>> another RDF file.
> +1
> my itend was not to create a new one, but replace with generated info
>

>> > But other information manually written in current PMC data rdf files can't
>> > be found anywhere else, AFAIK.
>>
>> Yes.
> that's where it hurst: we need to mix handwritten with generated content...
> nedd to be clear on the process
>

>> > Last problem: I personnally really didn't understand this PMC data rdf
>> > file
>> > until now. I don't know who understands it :)
>> > IMHO, the magic algorithm to find the rdf file is a root cause.
>>
>> The PMC data file is documented here:
>>
>> http://projects.apache.org/docs/pmc.html
> yeah, I read it several time before, I knew I was not confident with what I
> read, and now I know I completely misread it until now.

Does it need clarifying? If so, what is not clear? How could it be improved?

>> > ok, IIUC, I should rephrase
>> > https://projects-new.apache.org/project.html?ant : 1. "Top Level Project
>> > data:" to "Apache Committee data:"
>> > 2. "Project established:" to "Committee established:"
>>
>> That does not seem necessary.
>>
>> > 3. "Sub-projects (8):" to "Projects (8):", eventually boldening the TLP if
>> > one is the TLP
>>
>> No - none of the projects are the TLP.
> as said in the other thread, this assertion is confusing: "none of the
> projects are the Top Level Project"

On reflection, I think I was wrong about that.
The TLP is the original project which the PMC was created to manage.

>> The TLP / PMC is not the same as any of its projects.
>>
>> Most PMCs happen to have the same name as one of their projects, but
>> they are distinct entities.
>>
>> To take the Ant example, there needs to be an Ant PMC/TLP page and a
>> separate Ant project page.
>> These should be linked somehow.
>>
>> > and I should rename tlps.json to committees.json (and update code
>> > accordingly)
>> No need.
> given this problem with "a TLP is not a project", I think using committee or
> PMC would avoid confusion
>

>> > then on https://projects-new.apache.org/ , do we really want to graph TLPs
>> > evolution or committees?
>>
>> No idea
> ok, for a later discussion :)
>

>> > I suppose commons can be called a TLP, even if it does not have any "main"
>> > project that is the effective TLP
>>
>> Yes, Commons is a TLP/PMC.

Scratch that: Commons is a PMC; there is no real Commons TLP.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 May 2015 at 00:30, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> There is an ambiguity here: project can mean an organisational entity
>>> and project can mean a releaseable artifact.
>>>
>>> There are different RDF files for the two meanings; only the artifact
>>> has an associated DOAP.

>>> No, it only links to the TLP = PMC data file, it does not represent the TLP.
>>> The Ant DOAP file only represents the Ant product.
>> ok, IIUC, I should rephrase https://projects-new.apache.org/project.html?ant :
>> 1. "Top Level Project data:" to "Apache Committee data:"
>> 2. "Project established:" to "Committee established:"
>
> That does not seem necessary.
>
>> 3. "Sub-projects (8):" to "Projects (8):", eventually boldening the TLP if one
>> is the TLP
>
> No - none of the projects are the TLP.
> The TLP / PMC is not the same as any of its projects.
>
> Most PMCs happen to have the same name as one of their projects, but

Note that the Creadur PMC does not have a Creadur project.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15 May 2015 at 23:28, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le vendredi 15 mai 2015 15:34:47 sebb a écrit :
>> > I think we really have some data model problem here regarding what is a
>> > "project's DOAP file": sometimes, a project is a PMC, sometimes a project
>> > is a deliverable, more like what is called in projectsnew.a.o a
>> > "sub-project"
>> That is not how I understand DOAPs.
>>
>> DOAP == Description Of A Project
>>
>> i.e. some releaseable artifact.
>>
>> A single PMC may have multiple projects, each with its own releases
>> and repositories.
>> These are modelled quite well in the DOAPs that PMCs have created.
> +1
>
>> Information about the PMC which manages the projects is NOT stored in
>> a DOAP, it is stored in a PMC data file.
>> This is referenced from a DOAP using
>>
>> <asfext:pmd rdf:resource="URL"/>
>>
>> where URL is either an actual URL of a PMC data file or a dummy URL e.g.
>>
>> <asfext:pmc rdf:resource="http://<pmcname>.apache.org" />
>>
>> which leads to a file here:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/da
>> ta_files/<pmcname>.rdf
> I'm not RDF expert, but this Apache-specific algorithm to find PMC rdf file seems
> strange: I understand it is coded/known from projects.a.o xslt transformation

Yes.

> But this should be usable from any RDF tooling, no?

It's not currently usable except by using special processing.

The problem is that the shorthand URL is used by all but about 4 of
the PMCs, so it would be a major challenge to get this fixed.

Some PMCs are quick to fix such issues; some may take weeks or months
to fix even a simple error.

> Another problem I see with these PMC data rdf files is that they seem to not be
> really maintained: I doubt PMCs update PMC data rdf files on each PMC Chair
> change.

Yes.

> That's why I had the idea of generating/updating the chair when
> parsing committee-info.txt.

Fair enough, but that does not mean the code needs to create yet
another RDF file.

> But other information manually written in current PMC data rdf files can't be
> found anywhere else, AFAIK.

Yes.

> Last problem: I personnally really didn't understand this PMC data rdf file
> until now. I don't know who understands it :)
> IMHO, the magic algorithm to find the rdf file is a root cause.

The PMC data file is documented here:

http://projects.apache.org/docs/pmc.html

>> > if you look at https://projects-new.apache.org/projects.html?pmc, typical
>> > cases for that are:
>> > - Incubator: there is the "the Incubator project", displayed without DOAP
>> > file since the incubator has special source info, and many sub-projects
>> > which provide DOAP files
>> > - Commons: there is no "Commons' DOAP file", then no TLP... on sub-project
>> > is quasi randomly chosen... Common's DOAP file, if it existed would not
>> > release anything, it"s a pure "organizational" project
>>
>> There is an ambiguity here: project can mean an organisational entity
>> and project can mean a releaseable artifact.
>>
>> There are different RDF files for the two meanings; only the artifact
>> has an associated DOAP.
>>
>> > - Ant: there is an Ant DOAP file that represent the TLP and the main
>> > released artifact
>>
>> No, it only links to the TLP = PMC data file, it does not represent the TLP.
>> The Ant DOAP file only represents the Ant product.
> ok, IIUC, I should rephrase https://projects-new.apache.org/project.html?ant :
> 1. "Top Level Project data:" to "Apache Committee data:"
> 2. "Project established:" to "Committee established:"

That does not seem necessary.

> 3. "Sub-projects (8):" to "Projects (8):", eventually boldening the TLP if one
> is the TLP

No - none of the projects are the TLP.
The TLP / PMC is not the same as any of its projects.

Most PMCs happen to have the same name as one of their projects, but
they are distinct entities.

To take the Ant example, there needs to be an Ant PMC/TLP page and a
separate Ant project page.
These should be linked somehow.

> and I should rename tlps.json to committees.json (and update code accordingly)

No need.

> then on https://projects-new.apache.org/ , do we really want to graph TLPs
> evolution or committees?

No idea

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le vendredi 15 mai 2015 15:34:47 sebb a écrit :
> > I think we really have some data model problem here regarding what is a
> > "project's DOAP file": sometimes, a project is a PMC, sometimes a project
> > is a deliverable, more like what is called in projectsnew.a.o a
> > "sub-project"
> That is not how I understand DOAPs.
>
> DOAP == Description Of A Project
>
> i.e. some releaseable artifact.
>
> A single PMC may have multiple projects, each with its own releases
> and repositories.
> These are modelled quite well in the DOAPs that PMCs have created.
+1

> Information about the PMC which manages the projects is NOT stored in
> a DOAP, it is stored in a PMC data file.
> This is referenced from a DOAP using
>
> <asfext:pmd rdf:resource="URL"/>
>
> where URL is either an actual URL of a PMC data file or a dummy URL e.g.
>
> <asfext:pmc rdf:resource="http://<pmcname>.apache.org" />
>
> which leads to a file here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/da
> ta_files/<pmcname>.rdf
I'm not RDF expert, but this Apache-specific algorithm to find PMC rdf file seems
strange: I understand it is coded/known from projects.a.o xslt transformation
But this should be usable from any RDF tooling, no?

Another problem I see with these PMC data rdf files is that they seem to not be
really maintained: I doubt PMCs update PMC data rdf files on each PMC Chair
change. That's why I had the idea of generating/updating the chair when
parsing committee-info.txt.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
LOL, below.

On 4/18/15 5:44 AM, jan i wrote:
> On Saturday, April 18, 2015, <he...@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> It was told the new site would use native json, instead of doap
>> But I'm not convinced at all, since Doap is an invaluable source of info,
>> documented, and so on
>
> json is also a documented standard, that in general is more known, and I
> believe has more tools supporting it.
>

>> then imho it would be better to generate json from doap
>>
>> I disabled the json edit feature recently since it will cause problems
>
> which problems?
>
> with a defined json it is simple to generate the doap file.
>
> I highly recommend staying at json and using that as base for all our
> central data.
>
> rgds
> jan i
>

>> regards
>>
>> Hervé

Re : Re: Re : Re: Project Visualization Tool...

Posted by he...@free.fr.
Yes, I have no problem with json vs xml: the question is more to define the schema like doap did it, and write documentation for projects to know where to publish what information

editing current generated json just creates a new information source, without any documentation

My point is: afaik, the purpose of the site is to display info in newer ways, then json generated from every existing piece of information is great, like any other format that would better suit some other visualization

But if we're creating any new source of information that competes with existing one, this has to be done with great care on documentation, explanation on how to migrate and so on

of course the raw format is not an issue: no religion here on xml vs json vs yaml vs ...

Regards

Hervé