Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alan Stenhouse <ex...@wireless-vision.de> on 2001/01/31 13:41:04 UTC

get-xml and embedded tags in DB fld solution

Hi there

Just passing on our solution for getting data from a DB which contains
embedded tags.

We do (accessing a mySQL DB) something like:

<esql:execute-query>
	<esql:use-connection>default</esql:use-connection>
	<esql:query>select
concat('&lt;ggg&gt;',myFldWithTags,'&lt;/ggg&gt;') as D2 from myTable
where my_ID=34;
	</esql:query>
	<esql:results>
	</esql:results>
</esql:execute-query>

The main thing that is happening here is that we're surrounding the
particular field with a set of tags, so that the resulting output will
be a well-formed branch. It doesn't seem to matter what exactly the tags
are, hence the nonsensical ones (<ggg> and </ggg>) above.

NOTE that for the embedded tags to be processed correctly you'll
probably need an entry for them in your XSL sheet.

HTH

Alan

Re: get-xml and embedded tags in DB fld solution

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Alan Stenhouse wrote:

> Just passing on our solution for getting data from a DB which contains
> embedded tags.
>
> We do (accessing a mySQL DB) something like:
>
> <esql:execute-query>
> 	<esql:use-connection>default</esql:use-connection>
> 	<esql:query>select
> concat('&lt;ggg&gt;',myFldWithTags,'&lt;/ggg&gt;') as D2 from myTable
> where my_ID=34;
> 	</esql:query>
> 	<esql:results>
> 	</esql:results>
> </esql:execute-query>
>

> The main thing that is happening here is that we're surrounding the
> particular field with a set of tags, so that the resulting output will
> be a well-formed branch. It doesn't seem to matter what exactly the tags
> are, hence the nonsensical ones (<ggg> and </ggg>) above.
>
> NOTE that for the embedded tags to be processed correctly you'll
> probably need an entry for them in your XSL sheet.

note there's support for this already in esql. try

<esql:get-xml column="D2" root="ggg"/>

to automatically wrap the column's data with a ggg root element. i've
considered writing something to automatically strip the nonsense element
to make it easier to include xml fragments seamlessly.

- donald