Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> on 2009/08/11 17:36:19 UTC

Meetup and Hackathon at ApacheCon?

Hi

I'm thinking about organising a meetup + hackathon at ApacheCon, and
wanted to guage interest. Would probably go for a half day at the start
of the conference (Monday/Tuesday).

For current developers, it'd be a chance to discuss the project, and work
together to squash a bunch of bugs in a hackathon session.

For users, it'd be an opportunity to meet the developers, and get
involved. So, you could turn up and learn how to use and understand the
debugging tools like BiffViewer, chat to developers to ensure your
favourite bug reports had enough information on them, learn how to submit
patches etc.

So, who's interested in attending a session like this, and do you have any
preferences for the Monday or Tuesday?

(We might well also end up doing a few poi social things before and after
the conference, as several poi committers live nearby and many others are
coming in, but more details on that sort of thing nearer the time)

Nick

Re: Meetup and Hackathon at ApacheCon?

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking about organising a meetup + hackathon at ApacheCon, and wanted
> to guage interest. Would probably go for a half day at the start of the
> conference (Monday/Tuesday).

+1
That's a very good idea and I would like to give my contribution.

So, who's interested in attending a session like this, and do you have any
> preferences for the Monday or Tuesday?

I'm interested and would suggest Tuesday, as more people should be around.

--
Paolo Mottadelli: http://www.paolomottadelli.com

Re: Meetup and Hackathon at ApacheCon?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Yegor,

>> I'm thinking about organising a meetup + hackathon at ApacheCon,
>> and wanted to guage interest. Would probably go for a half day at
>> the start of the conference (Monday/Tuesday).
>
> I would go for Tuesday, second half of the day. There will be more
> people around and I personally will have an extra day to recover
> from jet leg.

I agree.

>> For current developers, it'd be a chance to discuss the project,
>> and work together to squash a bunch of bugs in a hackathon session.
>
> By that time 3.5-FINAL should be released and I'm sure it will boost
> interest in the session.

When do you think we'll have the 3.5-FINAL artifacts and the vote?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> I would go for Tuesday, second half of the day. There will be more
> people around and I personally will have an extra day to recover from
> jet leg.

That sounds like the best time for most people. I've emailed the planners
to see about arranging the spot, and maybe even some signs :)

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.