Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/09 07:58:59 UTC

Re: eclipse:eclipse suddenly adding including="**/*.java" to .classpath

1) The Maven convention and good practice is to put ressources files like
*.txt in src/main/resources.
2) The change you have is due to the new version 2.6 of the plugin which was
released few days ago. To avoid such a surprise in the future, the good
practice is to set the version of each plugin your are using the
pluginsManagement of your (parent) pom. You can set it to 2.5.1 for the
eclipse plugin to keep the old behavior.
cheers

arnaud

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Zach Cox <zc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Before this week, running "mvn eclipse:eclipse" would put a line like
> this in .classpath:
>
> <classpathentry kind="src" path="src/main/java"/>
>
> Now this week it is putting this line in .classpath instead:
>
> <classpathentry kind="src" path="src/main/java" including="**/*.java"/>
>
> We have some .txt files that sit alongside .java files in the package
> structure in src/main/java.  When running "mvn compile" all of those
> .txt files are copied into target/classes.  Before this week,
> rebuilding in Eclipse also copied those .txt files into
> target/classes.  However, now that the src/main/java line in
> .classpath contains including="**/*.java", Eclipse no longer copies
> the .txt files into target/classes.
>
> While I realize that technically only .java files should exist in
> src/main/java, it's a pain to create a duplicate package hierarchy in
> src/main/resources and this greatly reduces visibility of these .txt
> files.
>
> Did something just recently change with eclipse:eclipse to cause it to
> start putting including="**/*.java" in .classpath?  Is there any way I
> can get it to not put that in .classpath?
>
> Thanks,
> Zach

Arnaud

Re: eclipse:eclipse suddenly adding including="**/*.java" to .classpath

Posted by Zach Cox <zc...@gmail.com>.
> 1) The Maven convention and good practice is to put ressources files like
> *.txt in src/main/resources.

I totally agree - long-term we will move everything that's not a .java
file there.  We're still adjusting to doing everything the Maven way.

> 2) The change you have is due to the new version 2.6 of the plugin which was
> released few days ago. To avoid such a surprise in the future, the good
> practice is to set the version of each plugin your are using the
> pluginsManagement of your (parent) pom. You can set it to 2.5.1 for the
> eclipse plugin to keep the old behavior.

To keep the project moving forward in the short-term, specifying 2.5.1
in the pom fixed everything.

Thanks!
Zach

Re: eclipse:eclipse suddenly adding including="**/*.java" to .classpath

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Siarhei Dudzin
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Convention is convention because it's not a rule :) This also means you
> don't have to follow it but then it will cost you time/effort/extra
> configuration (you name it)...

Thanks for clarifying! :)

Re: eclipse:eclipse suddenly adding including="**/*.java" to .classpath

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Convention is convention because it's not a rule :) This also means you
don't have to follow it but then it will cost you time/effort/extra
configuration (you name it)...

And this is valid everywhere where 'convention over configuration' exists
(it's kinda by definition)...

Best regards,
Siarhei Dudzin

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Once you force a convention the convention stops being convention and
becomes a rule/law. So no, in case of maven it is still a convention :)

So it's still possible to have resources along with the source code (if it
happens that the convention isn't suitable for you).
I beleived I had to do it a couple of times when I needed to bend maven to
follow IBM RAD 6 'rules'. It didn't work the other way (suprise!) so I
didn't have much choice... So, what I did was redefined resources folder to
point at the java source tree and excluded *.java (and other stuff like CVS
stuff).

If this doesn't work you've probably hit a bug with the latest release (and
looking at the original post it *is* a bug). Try a different version... I
also see a few posts 'above' that a snapshot 2.7-SNAPSHOT is there so you
can try it.

If you don't know how to do it. Post on the mailing list, I am pretty *sure*
the community will help.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Siarhei Dudzin

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:39 AM, Andrew Eisenberg
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> The Maven convention and good practice is to put ressources files like
>> *.txt in src/main/resources.
>
> This is a bit troublesome for those of us using the AspectJ plugin.
> We need to place *.aj files in the src/main/java (and test) directory.
>  However, these files are excluded from the build.  Other than
> sticking with 2.5.1 is there a simple way around this?

These files are different in that that they are transformed into java classes.
They aren't resource files themselves, so living in src/main/java is fine.

> Should I raise a bug for this?

There already is a bug for this and is fixed in 2.7-SNAPSHOT.

We are looking at releasing a new version with these fixes shortly.

Re: eclipse:eclipse suddenly adding including="**/*.java" to .classpath

Posted by Andrew Eisenberg <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> The Maven convention and good practice is to put ressources files like
> *.txt in src/main/resources.

This is a bit troublesome for those of us using the AspectJ plugin.
We need to place *.aj files in the src/main/java (and test) directory.
 However, these files are excluded from the build.  Other than
sticking with 2.5.1 is there a simple way around this?

Should I raise a bug for this?

thanks,
--a