Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Utkarsh Dave <ut...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/13 06:39:31 UTC

To log TLS sessions !

Hi all,

Need your thoughts and comments on the requirement where we need to
log/capture information when TLS sessions are setup, the logs will be
logged to indicate successful or failed connection establishment or even
connection being disconnected.

RequestDumperFilter is one way but that will

dump each and every requests and response in detail

-Utkarsh

Re: To log TLS sessions !

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Utkarsh,

On 2/13/15 12:25 PM, Utkarsh Dave wrote:
> Thanks Chris. Any other thoughts?

Well, what you want is at a pretty low level. If you are using a JSSE
connector, you'll never see failed TLS handshakes. I'm not sure what
options are available for failed connection attempts if you are using
the APR (native) connector.

If you want TLS information from /successful/ attempts, it's easy for
you to grab that from any Filter, Servlet, etc.

If you want the best information available, I think you want to attach
a protocol tracer to the server and watch that traffic. That way,
you'll see the full TLS handshake and you can log whatever you want.

- -chris

Re: To log TLS sessions !

Posted by Utkarsh Dave <ut...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chris.