Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andrew Niefer <an...@ca.ibm.com> on 2005/09/07 22:58:41 UTC

[m2] Building Eclipse plugins using Maven 2

 I have started looking at what would need to be done in order to build
Eclipse plugins using Maven 2.

The general idea is that POM files could be generated using information in
the plugins' manifest.mf, plugin.xml and build.properties files.  At first
glance, the required information consists of the dependencies (out of the
manifest or plugin.xml), the sources and resources (from
build.properties).

One of the first problems that arises is physical layout.  An eclipse
workspace with a set of plugins that need to be considered at the same
time, these plugins do not necessarily reside in the same location on
disk.
We will want to treat these plugins as <modules/> under a common parent.
The first question then is for each module, do we copy all the sources &
resources into the normal maven layout, or do we create only the pom.xml
and point to the original locations using the <sourceDirectory/> and
<resource><directory/> tags.

Because an eclipse plugin can result in more than one jar file, we may
then have nested modules for each additional jar.

There will also be dependencies on plugins that exist in a target eclipse
installation instead of in the workspace.  Jars for these plugins would
need to be placed into the local repository.  POM files would also need to
be generated for these to specify their interdependencies.

The install phase would be different from the normal m2 install.  We would
need to gather the jars and any additional resources into the standard
eclipse features & plugins directories.  I have not yet looked into this.

I would welcome any comments people have,

-Andrew

Re: [m2] Building Eclipse plugins using Maven 2

Posted by Benedict Heal <bh...@benedictheal.com>.
This would be a wonderful idea.
I'd particularly welcome easy ways to run JUnit tests on plugins from maven.
good luck,
Benedict

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
What about from a pom.xml, maven can generate
manifest.fm<http://manifest.fm>file.
  There is already some work done at

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/felix/trunk/tools/maven2/maven-osgi-plugin/
 -D