Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/09/23 12:10:38 UTC

Stable trunk (was Re: current forrest trunk seems to be broken)

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mié, 21-09-2005 a las 15:09 -0700, Mark Eggers escribió:
>
>>X [0] linkmap.html  BROKEN:
>>org.apache.commons.jxpath.JXPathContext.setNamespaceContextPointer(Lorg/apache/commons/jxpath/Pointer;)V
>>
>>I guess there are some plugin interactions (especially
>>in the whiteboard area) that cause problems.  That's
>>probably why they are in the whiteboard area.
>

> Actually I think I know what is going on. Thanks Mark for spotting this.
> A quick workaround for you to get views running in *dynamic* mode is to
> copy commons-jxpath-1.2.jar from cocoon-2.2.x into lib/core of forrest.

Some time ago we agreed to do all changes that could break trunk in a
branch and only merge when they are working. We need to keep a stable trunk.

We need to start doing this.

> The linkmap is broken for jx-paxth, I need to look into that. This issue
> is the reason why "forrest site" is failing. It can take me a while
> because I am pretty busy this days. Maybe somebody can help us out here
> and send a patch.

Is it too much to revert the changes and do this in a branch?

That way it doesn't matter that you are busy.

Sure other people could provide a patch, but even if they have the time
I'm sure they would rather be working on stuff that they need. With
Trunk as it is nobody can work on a production site (yes that is the
risk of working with head, but then we decided to keep trunk stable).

Ross

Re: Stable trunk (was Re: current forrest trunk seems to be broken)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 23-09-2005 a las 11:10 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El mié, 21-09-2005 a las 15:09 -0700, Mark Eggers escribió:
> >
> >>X [0] linkmap.html  BROKEN:
> >>org.apache.commons.jxpath.JXPathContext.setNamespaceContextPointer(Lorg/apache/commons/jxpath/Pointer;)V
> >>
> >>I guess there are some plugin interactions (especially
> >>in the whiteboard area) that cause problems.  That's
> >>probably why they are in the whiteboard area.
> >

> > Actually I think I know what is going on. Thanks Mark for spotting this.
> > A quick workaround for you to get views running in *dynamic* mode is to
> > copy commons-jxpath-1.2.jar from cocoon-2.2.x into lib/core of forrest.
>
> Some time ago we agreed to do all changes that could break trunk in a
> branch and only merge when they are working. We need to keep a stable trunk.
>
> We need to start doing this.

I want to remember that views are still in the whiteboard. Which means
that their are still unstable and can break. I am the last person that
want that but ...

> > The linkmap is broken for jx-paxth, I need to look into that. This issue
> > is the reason why "forrest site" is failing. It can take me a while
> > because I am pretty busy this days. Maybe somebody can help us out here
> > and send a patch.
>
> Is it too much to revert the changes and do this in a branch?

Yes, I am afraid yes. More so because on my local version I finished all
contracts. There is no more *.page. It will all requested by nuggets and
the dependency to the skinconf is resolved as well. I will check that in
tonight.

> That way it doesn't matter that you are busy.

Actually I hoped that somebody could give me a helping hand. Anyway this
way I am now really close to have seen all internals of forrest. ;-)

> Sure other people could provide a patch, but even if they have the time
> I'm sure they would rather be working on stuff that they need. With
> Trunk as it is nobody can work on a production site (yes that is the
> risk of working with head, but then we decided to keep trunk stable).

Actually a stable trunk is IMO not for the whiteboard. If nobody needs
views in production then there is no problem at all. ;-) BTW I do not
need "forrest site", still I will have to fix it because it is a core
functionality (and I thought views as well). BTW the linkmap is not
working probably (the reason for views being broken) and that *is* a
core functionality.

salu2
--
thorsten