Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dennie.nl" <de...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/04 09:24:16 UTC

Root context switching

Hello,

I am new to Tomcat. What I like to do is to deploy different versions of my
application, for example:
hostname\myappv1
hostname\myappv2

Now I want the ROOT context to be set dynamicly to one of the available
deployed versions. Is this possible? Is there a way to implement this?

Cheers Dennie

Re: Root context switching

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.
On 04.09.2012 13:26, Dennie.nl wrote:

> Basic what I want is the same functionality which google apps
> provides. So
> I want to be able to have multiple versions of my application online,
> let
> people try the new environment and eventually switch the root context
> the new running version. This enables my clients to try out the new
> version
> and options before they switch over to the new environment and
> enables me
> to fix bugs found in the new release.

I don't know google apps. But for sure you can deploy many different
wars on the same Tomcat instance.
So you can have let's say host/app1, host/app2 URLs, or with virtual
hosts: host1/app, host2/app, etc.
With virtual hosts you can have multiple ROOT contexts as well.

Does it answer your question?

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>

Re: Root context switching

Posted by chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>.

> Basic what I want is the same functionality which google apps provides. So
> I want to be able to have multiple versions of my application online, let
> people try the new environment and eventually switch the root context to
> the new running version. This enables my clients to try out the new version
> and options before they switch over to the new environment and enables me
> to fix bugs found in the new release.
>
> Two options spring to mind. First is to have multiple tomcat instances
running. One is production with accepted versions of wars. Then a second
instance could run on a different port allowing you to test the new wars.
When they are accepted, you deploy on the production instance. Second
option is a slight variation - you could run a single instance, but have
two hosts specified. In one host you specify your production wars, and in
the second you specify your UAT wars.

Every company that I have worked in always runs separate a production and
UAT machines. If you don't want multiple machines, then I'd go for option
1.

HTH

Chris

RE: Root context switching

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.
Sounds to me like you are looking for the parallel deployment capabilities built into Tomcat 7.
See: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html
Jeff

Re: Root context switching

Posted by "Dennie.nl" <de...@gmail.com>.