Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com> on 2011/05/02 16:31:53 UTC

Re: 0.10 release update - generally available

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> Can I ask why links were added to the getting started page to examples
> etc for the Ruby and .Net clients that were simultaneously removed
> from the download page because we voted to drop them from the release
> (and based on that discussion, the repo as well it seems....though no
> one has done it yet)? It seems counter intuitive to me as its probably
> rather unhelpful to users to start promoting the docs for them at this
> point.

It seems obvious to me that you are right and these should be removed.
I'll prepare a patch.

> I have updated our DOAP file in svn to include the 0.10 release, so it
> should show up on our listing at http://projects.apache.org when the
> site is next generated.
>
> We could add a note to the download page (and announcement email?)
> about the maven artifacts yes, that would seem sensible given the
> number of people who have asked about the possibility over the years
> and had probably given up hope of it ever happening ;)
>
> I think https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/010-release.html includes
> various bits of project/developer orientated info that make it
> unsuitable for direct use as a release notes page, although some of
> the earlier information on the page would be OK if separated. That
> said, I don't think we should be manually creating the release notes
> content to this extent, that's something JIRA does for you and is one
> of the reasons to use an issue tracker at all. To me, if you need to
> reword a JIRA title to describe what it does for the release notes
> then that just says we already needed to improve the title on JIRA
> anyway and should be doing that on an ongoing basis instead. I see
> value in highlighting perhaps the 5 most noteworthy things about a
> given release in the announcement email, then having everything after
> that just going via the full release notes and/or documentation.
>
> I made a release notes page for the website for 0.8 with the combined
> JIRA releases notes from the 0.7 and 0.8 versions to make it possible
> to see everything in a single location, and also so that we could link
> to the website in our release announcement. Various other projects do
> this and many of them also offer them via a release notes section on
> their website. The website looks nicer and is faster than JIRA, it
> drives users to our website rather than the wiki or JIRA, and finally
> it gets more links to the website out there for Google to index due to
> blogs/aggregators/mail archives etc picking it up from the
> announcement email. I have put up a similar page for 0.10 at
> http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html if you want to use it.

Thanks, Robbie.  That's excellent.

Here's the release announcement that I have prepared.  It's based very
much on yours for 0.8.  I'll send this out this evening.  Any comments or
suggestions in the mean time would be appreciated.

Justin

----

The Apache Qpid community is pleased to announce the immediate
availability of Apache Qpid 0.10.

Apache Qpid (http://qpid.apache.org) is a cross-platform enterprise
messaging solution which implements the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol
(AMQP, http://www.amqp.org).  It provides brokers written in C++ and Java,
along with clients for C++, Java JMS, .Net, Python, and Ruby.

Qpid 0.10 is available from our website:

   http://qpid.apache.org/download.cgi

The 0.10 release has undergone a lot of bug fixing and feature
enhancement.  We recommend that all users upgrade.  A few changes of note:

   - The C++ broker now supports priority-ordered message queueing
   - The C++ broker and client now implement producer flow control
   - The Java JMS client is now available via Maven

A comprehensive list of features, improvements, and bugs resolved in the
0.10 release is available here:

   http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html

Thanks to all the users and contributors who have helped to improve Apache
Qpid.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: 0.10 release update - generally available

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 May 2011 18:01, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> >  http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html
>>
>> Justin, the above link does not seem to contain the following sections.
>> "Changes requiring user attention"
>> "Known issues"
>>
>> Is this deliberate or was this an oversight ?
>> I would prefer if we can include the above in our release notes as well.
>>

> My bad, I simply put together a similar page to the one I did previously to
> consolidate the JIRA issues. I have applied Justin's patch to update it.

Thanks Robbie, much appreciated !

Rajith

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I waited and waited and that email never seemed to arrive back, so
after another announcement arrived later on I sent it again (using a
different, non-Gmail based method) and it actually turned up this
time. That said, note to self: check the mail archives first next time
just in case Gmail is doing something odd and not actually showing you
a message you sent+received that everyone else actually did get. Oh
well, double announcement, oops... :P

Robbie

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, 2 May 2011, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> On 2 May 2011 18:01, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>  http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html
>>
>> Justin, the above link does not seem to contain the following sections.
>> "Changes requiring user attention"
>> "Known issues"
>>
>> Is this deliberate or was this an oversight ?
>> I would prefer if we can include the above in our release notes as well.
>>

> My bad, I simply put together a similar page to the one I did previously to
> consolidate the JIRA issues. I have applied Justin's patch to update it.

Thank you, Robbie.

I have one more thing to ask.  I sampled some previous announcements, and
they're all from @apache.org mail addresses.  I don't have one of those to
send from, and I want to avoid any faux pas.  Would you post the release
announcement to announce@apache.org?

Justin

---

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
> along with clients for C++, Java JMS, .Net, Python, and Ruby.
>
> Qpid 0.10 is available from our website:
>
>  http://qpid.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> The 0.10 release has undergone a lot of bug fixing and feature enhancement.
>  We recommend that all users upgrade.  A few changes of note:
>
>  - The C++ broker now supports priority-ordered message queueing
>  - The C++ broker and client now implement producer flow control
>  - The Java JMS client is now available via Maven
>
> A comprehensive list of features, improvements, and bugs resolved in the
> 0.10 release is available here:
>
>  http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html

Justin, the above link does not seem to contain the following sections.
"Changes requiring user attention"
"Known issues"

Is this deliberate or was this an oversight ?
I would prefer if we can include the above in our release notes as well.

Also it would be nice if we can link the above page (release notes
page) from our download or 0.10 documentation page.

Rajith