Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> on 2017/10/20 07:32:06 UTC

Snort Installation

I have installed the snort manually. Now I need help with :

1- Capturing the data of my lan and dumping it via snort :Snort cant see
the traffic outside vagrant vm, how do I make it see that traffic?

2- Making a kafka topic to push those saved logs in metron for preprocessing

3- Applying a basic Machine learning algorithm on the captured data.

Regards.

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.
Help guys !!!

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
A quick google search will answer your question.

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.
All I did was install snort separately on vagrant ssh console. The ran it
to collect logs. Now I need to bring those logs to metron.

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort Installation

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
Hi Syed,

Just to clarify, this a snort issue you are having?  If so I suggest
looking at their documentation (https://snort.org/documents) or reaching
out to their community (https://snort.org/community), as they have more
expertise in this area.

Jon

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017, 03:52 Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I tried to add another network interface in order to bridge it to LAN. I
> tried to do it on virtualbox vm settings and when i did vagrant up after
> that, there was no bridged interface. Can anyone help me on this?
>
> On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>
> wrote:
>
>> Ok, thankyou. I will let you know once  I make snort sniff the traffic in
>> the given configuration, might be helpful for others. I will then try to do
>> that kafka topic and will ask if any help is needed.
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Laurens Vets <la...@daemon.be> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Syed,
>>>
>>> See inline.

>>> To be honest, configuring Snort to work on your LAN is out of scope of
>>> the project. Have a look at the documentation at https://www.snort.org/.
>>> You will probably have to add a 2nd network interface bridged to your
>>> LAN in promiscuous mode. Additionally, I think most of us expect some basic
>>> Linux & network administration knowledge when using Metron.
>>>
>>> 2- Making a kafka topic to push those saved logs in metron for
>>>>

>>> Have a look at the Metron documentation at
>>> https://metron.apache.org/current-book/index.html. Adding a new sensor
>>> in the Metron UI will create the Kafka iirc.
>>>
>>> 3- Applying a basic Machine learning algorithm on the captured data.
>>>>

>>> I can't help you with this :)
>>>

> --

Jon

Re: Snort Installation