Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Bobby Evans <bo...@apache.org> on 2018/09/10 16:25:55 UTC

Re: Regarding releasing Apache Storm 2.0.0

It has been nearly a month since this was originally sent out, and this is
not the first of these kinds of emails to go out about a 2.0.0 release.  I
think we have made a lot of really good progress on getting ready for a 2.0
release, and I really would like to see it happen before another month
passes.

We have a 2.0 based deploy in some of our staging clusters, currently
following the master branch with a little that is Yahoo specific on top. We
would like to start pushing towards production with it soon.

There are a few issues that we are aware of.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20STORM%20AND%20affectedVersion%20in%20(2.0.0)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

There are no blockers still open, and only 4 issues listed as critical.

If others have any open issues that feel need to be addressed prior to a
2.0.0 release please respond to this with the JIRA number.  I would like to
set a goal/tentative date of Sep 17th (one week from today) to put together
a release candidate for a 2.0.0 release, and unless there are major
blockers that show up I think we can do it.

Thanks,

Bobby Evans

p.s. I don't want to create branch-2.x or branch-2.0.x until absolutely
necessary, I don't see any major features with pull requests up but if you
do run across one please send something out before merging it in, so we can
set up the branches properly at that time.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
I’m hitting lots of issues with SNAPSHOT dependencies (as I expected). This is internal to storm’s pom structure and likely the result of all the module reorganization. I’ll probably create a temporary release branch so I can create a pull request for the necessary changes back to master, but continue with the release candidate.

-Taylor

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <bo...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roshan Naik <ro...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Happy to see consensus in moving fwd with 2.0 soon.
I will try to get a minor patch (STORM-3205) within 24 hours ... as it seems like it has potential to deliver a decent perf boost and energy savings.
One thing I am hoping we can address before releasing Storm 2 is... to fix the naming of the storm-client.jar.  Its such a core jar really, it should have been really called storm-core or something like that... but unfortunately we already have another jar with that name.  Retaining the 'client' name for this new jar would be confusing and give wrong impressions to users and any new devs IMO.

Posted by Govind Menon <gm...@oath.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Govind Menon <gm...@oath.com.INVALID>.
Hi all,

Posted by Arun Mahadevan <ar...@apache.org>.
+1 for releasing 2.0.

Posted by Stig Rohde Døssing <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 to cut an RC.

Posted by Alexandre Vermeerbergen <av...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kishorkumar Patil <kp...@oath.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
I agree, and looking through the JIRAs against 2.0, I would say a majority of the ones marked critical are not critical.

I’m +1 on moving forward with a 2.0 release, but will give others time to respond with any JIRAs they think should be included.