Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Barak Simon <ba...@db.com> on 2004/09/22 01:23:48 UTC

Re: SocketServer (+ Appender's Threshold)

Thanks for the swift reply.

> Legally speaking I don't know if you can mix code which is Apache
> Licenced and some closed source code. I think other people on the list
> will be able to tell (which will make sense, of course, only if your
> code is closed source).

How then using the log4cxx code/classes to log messages within your own code is different
than rebuilding the simplesocketserver with extended levels? (In any case, anyone
is most welcome to use my extended levels...)

> I don't know. You may try to have a look to the source code.

Does anyone know whether appenders' threshold is supported at present?
(The code seems to do something, but actually configuring a threshold does not seem to work
Also, the only test configuration files relevant in the log4cxx distribution, tests global framework thresholds only,
which seems to suggest that appenders' threshold is not supported, hence not tested)

Regards,
Barak
________________________
Barak Simon
GED IT Core Platform
190 George St. Sydney, 2000
Phone +61 2 925 85070
Fax      +61 2 925 95050

                      cdevienne@alphace
                      nt.com                   To:       log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org
                                               cc:
                      22/09/2004 03:17         Subject:  Re: SocketServer
                      Please respond to
                      log4cxx-user

Barak Simon wrote:

>Thanks Christophe,
>I suspected as much - I guess for the interim we'll use different servers for C++ and Java.
>
>I do have some other problem, however, having to do with the fact that I subclassed the Level class
>adding two lower levels (MICRO & NANO) which, of course, are not identified by the C++ server.
>
>When these logging events get to the server it outputs:
>"Class 'LevelExt4cxx' not found Level deserialization failed, reverting to default."
>
>Do I have to re-build the SimpleSocketServer with my class?

I think so

>How easy is this?

Technicaly, quite much :-)
Just add a .cpp file with your classes to simplesocketserver_SOURCES in
simplesocketserver/Makefile.am, and rebuild the binary.

Legally speaking I don't know if you can mix code which is Apache
Licenced and some closed source code. I think other people on the list
will be able to tell (which will make sense, of course, only if your
code is closed source).

>Another thing I tried is thresholding the socket appender on the client side to only send INFO and above,
>but it does not seem to work. Are Appender level thresholds unsupported at present?

I don't know. You may try to have a look to the source code.

Regards,

 Christophe

Re: SocketServer (+ Appender's Threshold)

Posted by Jason Hermans <ja...@lycos-europe.com>.
Curt Arnold <carnold <at> apache.org> writes:

> There is a closed bug relating to setting the threshold of an appender,
> http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-12.  The bug has been
> marked fixed,  but within the last month.  Are you seeing the behavior
> with the CVS version or with 0.9.7?

Hi,

I'm using version 0.9.7 and the threshold of an appender problem is still there.
I will try the CVS version to see if it fixes the problem.

Jason Hermans

Re: SocketServer (+ Appender's Threshold)

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
There is a closed bug relating to setting the threshold of an appender,
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-12.  The bug has been
marked fixed,  but within the last month.  Are you seeing the behavior
with the CVS version or with 0.9.7?

> Thanks for the swift reply.
>
>> Legally speaking I don't know if you can mix code which is Apache
>> Licenced and some closed source code. I think other people on the list
>> will be able to tell (which will make sense, of course, only if your
>> code is closed source).
>
> How then using the log4cxx code/classes to log messages within your
> own code is different
> than rebuilding the simplesocketserver with extended levels? (In any
> case, anyone
> is most welcome to use my extended levels...)

Hopefully the Apache license is sufficiently clear that you can make
your own determination.  However, giving an opinion if a particular use
is allowable might make some people think that we are pretending to be
lawyers.

Details on the Apache License is available at
http://www.apache.org/licenses/,
http://www.apache.org/foundation/preFAQ.html#licence, and
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html.