Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by alok kakani <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/29 12:49:42 UTC

Re: Basic Question : Tomact Clustering

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 29/10/2010 11:49, alok kakani wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am working Business Objects 3.1(BOE) with tomcat being the application
>> server. I am new to the web application part, hence i had some doubts
>>
>> We are trying to step up a BOE on 2 machines & we will have tomcat
>> installed on both machines. We plan to use MS NLB for high availability. I
>> am not sure how will i configure the web + web apps in such scenario with
>> Tomcat.

Tomcat doesn't know what MS NLB is.  Depending on how your application
works and what it does, this may or may not be a suitable solution. YMMV.

>> I will be installing tomcat 5.5 on both machines. this is shipped as
>> default with BOE.

Tomcat 6.0 should work just as well.

>> 1. Do i need to install Apache on both machines?

Apache HTTPD?  No.
One reason for using HTTPD is to make it the load balancer.  So you
would need only one HTTPD in that case.

>> 2. What are the configuring steps to cluster tomcat for HA & fail over?

Read the Cluster documentation for information about what Tomcat offers:

 http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html

>> 3. Do i need to cluster Apache as well??

Not if you're not using it.