Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2004/04/14 16:48:46 UTC

Translation issues

I'm really happy with the our presentation of translations in the 2.0
docs.  Mostly thanks to nd, we now have a system which has the important
elements:
- Automatically selects the appropriate translation
- But allows this to be semi-permanently overriden
- And lets people know if what they are reading is up to date.
With those three things, I believe the translations are now very useful.

My question now is, are there any barriers that are keeping more
translations from getting done (other than the obvious lack of time and
energy)?

Am I correct that there is a huge backlog of german translations that
never got committed?

Do we need to give commit access to more docs people?

Is there anything else we can do policy or infrastructure wise to help?

Joshua.

Re: Translation issues

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> My question now is, are there any barriers that are keeping more
> translations from getting done (other than the obvious lack of time and
> energy)?

No, not the barriers are to high. Wht we need is more life at this list.
Some more discussions, some more commits may attrackt more people to
contribute. It's a problem of our current contributors - including
myself ;)

> Am I correct that there is a huge backlog of german translations that
> never got committed?

Yes, this is right. They are not forgotten. They still need some
additional review.

> Do we need to give commit access to more docs people?

hm, I know some poeple lurking here and contributing from time to time.
But I'm not sure, they want to contribute on a regular base or want to
get commit access. Maybe I should ask them directly?

Last but not least, there are also good news: It seems we will get a
committer for a Spanisch translation of 2.0 in the near future. It's a
German-Spanish boy with good English knowlegde. Hope he will start soon.

 Kess

Re: Translation issues

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Nick Kew wrote:
> Hmmm.  Someone (Jeff Trawick?) posted a few weeks ago recommending this
> as the preferred means of submission for non-committers.  But it seems
> there are bugs with supplied patches going back some time.  Would I
> be too far off if I extrapolate from my past experience?

The recommended use of the bug database for patch coordination is a rather
new thing, so we'll have to wait a while to see how it pans out.  In
previous times, you knew your patch wouldn't be forgotten if it was
entered in STATUS.  But STATUS is little-used now-a-days.

I do think the bug database is a good place to coordinate patches, and
that includes docs patches.  But for translations in particular, it may be
best to start on the docs list, where there is a better chance of finding
a reviewer.

Joshua.

Re: Translation issues

Posted by Jani Mikkonen <ja...@mikkonen.org>.
Nick Kew wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>

>>>At least one person on IRC has mentioned that they had submitted
>>>translations and then waited to the point of giving up for approval.
>>>

>I can identify with that (from experience of submitting things to
>httpd and apr).  The only way I've got anything committed is by
>bugging people on IRC.

Same thing. While ago, i made some security suggestion - and one other
person did some thing - and they are yet to materialize. There was some
talk after i bugged people in IRC =)

--
           \|||/
           (o o)

Re: Translation issues

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

Re: Translation issues

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Rich Bowen wrote:
> At least one person on IRC has mentioned that they had submitted
> translations and then waited to the point of giving up for approval.
> Apparently there were significant amounts of french translations done
> that never got committed.

Yep, that's always a problem on open-source projects, although we tend to
be pretty good here on docs.  The rule is, if you don't hear anything for

Re: Translation issues

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

> I'm really happy with the our presentation of translations in the 2.0
> docs.  Mostly thanks to nd, we now have a system which has the important
> elements:
> - Automatically selects the appropriate translation
> - But allows this to be semi-permanently overriden
> - And lets people know if what they are reading is up to date.
> With those three things, I believe the translations are now very useful.
>
> My question now is, are there any barriers that are keeping more
> translations from getting done (other than the obvious lack of time and
> energy)?
>
> Am I correct that there is a huge backlog of german translations that
> never got committed?
>
> Do we need to give commit access to more docs people?
>
> Is there anything else we can do policy or infrastructure wise to help?

At least one person on IRC has mentioned that they had submitted
translations and then waited to the point of giving up for approval.
Apparently there were significant amounts of french translations done
that never got committed.

--
The night has a thousand saxophones.
So get out there and rock.