Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Ludwig, Pat" <pl...@silverstream.com> on 2001/01/10 22:05:40 UTC

1.0 status of MessageBundle and non-serializable application resources

hi Craig,
    would you please give a quick report on the status in Struts 1.0 of
the proposed change of MessageResources to MessageBundle and conversion
of other non-serializable application resources. you had proposed a
solution for MessageResources in early December, and i know that a
number of changes have been made to 1.0 to rectify other
non-serializable problems. still there have been sporadic reports of
serialization exceptions with various appservers. will all the changes
you proposed be implemented in the 1.0 code base? this is really quite
an important development issue since it affects a container's ability to
re-deploy an application without restarting.

thanks,
Pat Ludwig

Re: 1.0 status of MessageBundle and non-serializable application resources

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> The basic Struts framework no longer creates any non-Serializable servlet
> context attributes.  The new MessageResources implementation was completed
> last week.

As I pointed out in a subsequent message on this thread ... you need to avoid
the use of the <data-sources> initialization service if your container requires
context attributes to be serializable.  In such cases, the app server will
provide an alternative means (JNDI InitialContext) to gain access to the data
sources you need.

Craig

Re: 1.0 status of MessageBundle and non-serializable application resources

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Ludwig, Pat" wrote:

> hi Craig,   would you please give a quick report on the status in Struts 1.0
> of the proposed change of MessageResources to MessageBundle and conversion of
> other non-serializable application resources. you had proposed a solution for
> MessageResources in early December, and i know that a number of changes have
> been made to 1.0 to rectify other non-serializable problems. still there have
> been sporadic reports of serialization exceptions with various appservers.
> will all the changes you proposed be implemented in the 1.0 code base? this is
> really quite an important development issue since it affects a container's
> ability to re-deploy an application without restarting.thanks,Pat Ludwig

The basic Struts framework no longer creates any non-Serializable servlet
context attributes.  The new MessageResources implementation was completed last
week.

The Struts Example application continues to use a non-Serializable servlet
context for its pseudo-database -- due to the "quick and dirty" design of this
thing, it is not appropriate to be Serializable.  Therefore, the example app
will *not* run on any app server that requires context attributes to be
Serializable until this design is changed.  However, this will not affect apps
that you write on top of the rest of the Struts framework, as long as your own
application-scope objects obey the rules.

Craig