Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gregory Buchenberger <gr...@eightfoldconsulting.com> on 2009/12/04 06:06:59 UTC

Base 14 fonts

Hi,

Does anyone know of a free source where I might find the base 14 fonts?

Thanks,

Greg Buchenberger

Re: Base 14 fonts

Posted by Venkat Reddy <va...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

This is from the latest FOP documentation...

    Base-14 Fonts

The Adobe PostScript and PDF Specification specify a set of 14 fonts
that must be available to every PostScript interpreter and PDF reader:
Helvetica (normal, bold, italic, bold italic), Times (normal, bold,
italic, bold italic), Courier (normal, bold, italic, bold italic),
Symbol and ZapfDingbats.

The following font family names are hard-coded into FOP for the Base-14
font set:

Base-14 font 	font families
Helvetica 	Helvetica, sans-serif, SansSerif
Times 	Times, Times Roman, Times-Roman, serif, any
Courier 	Courier, monospace, Monospaced
Symbol 	Symbol
ZapfDingbats 	ZapfDingbats

Please note that recent versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader replace
"Helvetica" with "Arial" and "Times" with "Times New Roman" internally.
GhostScript replaces "Helvetica" with "Nimbus Sans L" and "Times" with
"Nimbus Roman No9 L". Other document viewers may do similar font
substitutions. If you need to make sure that there are no such
substitutions, you need to specify an explicit font and embed it in the
target document.

Venkat.

Re: Base 14 fonts

Posted by Gregory Buchenberger <gr...@eightfoldconsulting.com>.
Thanks guys!

Re: Base 14 fonts

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gregory,

Gregory Buchenberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a free source where I might find the base 14 fonts?

You can get the fonts distributed with Ghostscript at the following
address:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gs-fonts/

They are clones of the Base14 fonts contributed by URW++ and made
available under the GPL license.

> Thanks,
>
> Greg Buchenberger

HTH,
Vincent

Re: Base 14 fonts

Posted by Venkat Reddy <va...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

      Base-14 Fonts

The Adobe PDF Specification specifies a set of 14 fonts that must be
available to every PDF reader: Helvetica (normal, bold, italic, bold

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/group/xmltools/formatters/fop/fop-0.20.5/build/site/fonts.html#Base-14+Fonts