Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Clever Bit <cl...@vsnl.com> on 2003/05/15 06:16:02 UTC

Using James with a Dial-Up Internet Connection

How do I configure James to work with a : Dial-Up Modem Internet Conncetion.

I have installed James on a machine having Dial-Up Internet Connection.

Is there a way in which I can tell James that
"OK my Internet connection is now established
Please go ahead and empty the OUTGOING / REMOTE Queue".

What happens when there are some pending messages in my outgoing queue
to be sent to remote SMTP hosts for delivery and my internet connection is
not ON.
I understand that JAMES will retry the messages for REMOTEDELIVERY after the
specified time set in CONFIG.XML and for the RETRY number of times.

If for this period Internet Connection is OFF then will these messages get
deleted from
the OUTGOING Spool?

Is there a solution for this DIAL-UP scenario for the outgoing messages for
RemoteDelivery.
Or does JAMES detect presence of Internet and then goes for REMOTEDELIVERY?

Please advise

Thanks

- Sumeet

RE: Using James with a Dial-Up Internet Connection

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> How do I configure James to work with a : Dial-Up Modem Internet
> Conncetion.

SMTP is not really suitable to be used over an intermittent connection, outgoing SMTP can be used by mail clients if network status information is available. James is a server daemon and doesn't support this.

d.