Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net> on 2004/12/31 03:20:18 UTC

Regarding Java and the LGPL (fwd)

For what it's worth, here is the letter I sent to the FSF earlier this
month asking for further LGPL clarification.  No response yet, but it's
the holidays.

 	Brian

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Le 1 juin 2012 à 01:14, Roy T. Fielding a écrit :

> One of the nice things about today's Alsup ruling is that we
> can finally, definitively, and without regard to the FSF's opinions,
> resolve the issue of name-based dynamic binding in Java and its
> meaning for the LGPL terms.  The names are not copyrightable.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120531173633275

This seems to be indeed fairly rejoicing news.

A little request for clarification: what is the difference in binding by name of Java and of the symbols of libtool?
From the summary up there, I read that this is the "API functional-structure", is that right?

paul

Re: Regarding Java and the LGPL (fwd)

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 1/06/12 8:30pm, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

>>> An article on CNET suggests that the ruling is more narrow than that:
>>>
>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57444928-38/judge-says-37-oracle-apis-are-not-copyrightable/
>>
>> It isn't general to all APIs.  It is general to the issue of name-based
>> dynamic binding in Java because that is why the specific APIs were
>> deemed non-copyrightable.
>
> I continue to read the decision as more narrow than that you imply:
>
> "Rather, it holds on the specific facts of this case, the particular
> elements replicated by Google were free for all to use under the
> Copyright Act."

I can't speak so much for the American legal system, but in the British and Australian common law system (which is very similar in many ways), a judgement on its own is neither narrow nor broad. A judgement stands on its own facts until such time as it is cited in a future case. The more often it is cited on slightly different facts, the broader the interpretation becomes. Often the way judges distinguish (that is, ignore) previous judgements is by interpreting them as narrowly as possible, exactly as Alsup did with the Dentalab case.

Common law is essentially revisionist history of case decisions. Over time the bits that judges like are referenced again and again, and become the basis of common law you can rely on. This one case from a Circuit court isn't that, but it is certainly a strong precedent which I am sure will be cited by lawyers everywhere in the USA for years to come. We'll know in 20 years whether it stands the test of time. All of us hope so, but I think it is a little early for Apache to base any major decisions on just yet.

One problem with the GPL is that there are so few cases brought on it, that there just isn't enough case law to state whether using an API ("binding") from a GPL program will infect the whole application as GPL. FSF think so [1] and that using "exec" magically eliminates the API binding problem[2] although I'm personally at a loss to explain why kernel threads have anything to do with copyright law. Certainly Alsup's decision raises some interesting questions. I'd say this questions appears a long way from "finally, definitively".

Ari Maniatis

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On May 31, 2012, at 6:09 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>>> One of the nice things about today's Alsup ruling is that we
>>> can finally, definitively, and without regard to the FSF's opinions,
>>> resolve the issue of name-based dynamic binding in Java and its
>>> meaning for the LGPL terms.  The names are not copyrightable.
>>>
>>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120531173633275
>>
>> An article on CNET suggests that the ruling is more narrow than that:
>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57444928-38/judge-says-37-oracle-apis-are-not-copyrightable/
>
> It isn't general to all APIs.  It is general to the issue of name-based
> dynamic binding in Java because that is why the specific APIs were
> deemed non-copyrightable.

I continue to read the decision as more narrow than that you imply:

"Rather, it holds on the specific facts of this case, the particular
elements replicated by Google were free for all to use under the
Copyright Act."

> IOW, he affirmed Larry's interpretation of the same copyright laws.

It certainly is not inconsistent with that interpretation.

> ....Roy

- Sam Ruby

RE: Regarding Java and the LGPL (fwd)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 1, 2012 1:53 PM, "Lawrence Rosen" <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Greg Stein wrote:
>
> Nah... I can't see a damage award being all that high. Likely quite a bit
less than the cost to litigate.

> I also seem to recall reading somewhere that appealing a *jury* trial is
a huge burden to overcome. Appealing one judge's thoughts is one thing, but
a jury? Difficult.

> And recall that appeals are usually based on procedure or interpretation
of law. Facts from the original case cannot be appealed... they're facts
:-) (and I seem to recall jury answers become a fact).

> LOL. It is a little more complicated than that, but if you draw the
conclusion that appeals are on average difficult and unproductive, that’s
right.

Hehe... I'd be fine with "vastly more complicated" :-P

RE: Regarding Java and the LGPL (fwd)

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Greg Stein wrote:

Nah... I can't see a damage award being all that high. Likely quite a bit
less than the cost to litigate.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that appealing a *jury* trial is a
huge burden to overcome. Appealing one judge's thoughts is one thing, but a
jury? Difficult.

And recall that appeals are usually based on procedure or interpretation of
law. Facts from the original case cannot be appealed... they're facts :-)
(and I seem to recall jury answers become a fact).

LOL. It is a little more complicated than that, but if you draw the
conclusion that appeals are on average difficult and unproductive, that's
right.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com>
www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482

> As someone pointed out, this is also a much more complex 'political' game.
If Oracle does _not_ appeal, would they than risk getting sued by their own
share holders (for not trying to do in their best interrest) ?

Nah... I can't see a damage award being all that high. Likely quite a bit
less than the cost to litigate.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that appealing a *jury* trial is a
huge burden to overcome. Appealing one judge's thoughts is one thing, but a
jury? Difficult.

And recall that appeals are usually based on procedure or interpretation of
law. Facts from the original case cannot be appealed... they're facts :-)
(and I seem to recall jury answers become a fact).

Cheers,
-g

Re: Regarding Java and the LGPL (fwd)

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also seem to recall reading somewhere that appealing a *jury* trial is a
> huge burden to overcome. Appealing one judge's thoughts is one thing, but a
> jury? Difficult.
>
> And recall that appeals are usually based on procedure or interpretation
> of law. Facts from the original case cannot be appealed... they're facts
> :-) (and I seem to recall jury answers become a fact).
>
> The jury's result in this case was "if API's can be copyrighted, then this
was infringement".  It was the judge who decided that they can't be
copyrighted.

Re: Regarding Java and the LGPL (fwd)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I try to recap what I understood from glancing over those 40 pages.

> Oracle is likely to appeal the ruling, so what if the next ruling says
> something different ? (just curious)

That might happen. But the ruling has a very detailed (both technically and legally) argumentation chain. And this chain is more of the kind of the ones from a tank and not from a filigree necklace ;)

Also: currently the ruling is explicitly only valid for those 37 APIs.

If Oracle would loose the appeal, the next court might even widen it to a general rule (as the EuGH already did afaik).

As someone pointed out, this is also a much more complex 'political' game. If Oracle does _not_ appeal, would they than risk getting sued by their own share holders (for not trying to do in their best interrest) ?

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.