Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr> on 2018/02/02 08:43:55 UTC

Re: [Proposal] OR search criteria within performFind

Yes, actually using form widget with performFind services do not offer a
way to union two search criteria.

Exemple : i want to find all communicationEvent that are in Bounced
status *or* that contains something in note field. (very specific,
strange, thats why)

By default all search criteria are managed in EntityCondition like :

List<EntityCondition> allDefaultSearchCriteria =
UtilMisc.toList(criteria1Condition, criteria2Condition ...);

The resulting final condition would result as :
EntityCondition.makeCondition(allDefaultSearchCriteria, EntityOperator.AND)

With the enhancement, by regrouping two fields with field1_grp =
'groupKey' and field2_grp = 'groupKey'

the following condition is added to the other default ones like :

allDefaultSearchCriteria.add(EntityCondition.makeCondition(UtilMisc.toList(field1Condition,
field2Condition), EntityOperator.OR));

I hope this will be clearer.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
A little bit off topic but I recently wrote an EntityCondition converter
for use with the rsql-parser[1] library.  Using it on an html client to
write free-form queries would need some javascript wizardry but it's worth
looking at if we ever wanted to implement something like Jira's JQL
capability.

Regards
Scott

[1] https://github.com/jirutka/rsql-parser

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gil, inline ...

On Feb 2, 2018 6:55 PM, "gil portenseigne" <gi...@nereide.fr>
wrote:

Ok then I see the limitation of my implementation ! I can't solve your
example...

But the existing default behaviour in performFind is "AND"ed every
conditions (that is the more common way to search something in my opinion,
each user input restrain the result).

Yes absolutely, and perhaps we should keep the default behavior the way it
is without even altering the logic.

That make this design impossible without adding another key or changing
global logic of performFind service, which I guess is not really what we
want.

Not really, you just add an if condition to check if any search groups
exist, and if they do then apply the additional search logic.

I think managing more complex cases (like the one you gave me) without
rewriting the performFind could be too complicate, and i'd propose another
way to solve such needs.

If you like I can help out, but I actually think it is not too complex to
apply the logic in my proposal, and you will have a permanent powerful
solution where you can design complex custom search and dashboard screens.
I can already imagine most of the implementation in a few lines of code,
and it would help us refactor the code base.

We could add the ability to put an EntityCondition in inputFields map that
will be specified in a script just before calling performFind service.
This entityCondition will be "AND"ed to the default ones (i already got a
working patch with unit test working :) ).

Interesting, let's take a look at that then, maybe you have a simpler
powerful solution.

Then we willl get for simple OR condition a way to do it within widget, and
for more complex case, resolve it through specific script/action.

Cool, I'll wait for your work, if you need extra hands for anything just
holler.

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Inline

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
So it's not some SQL union but rather just a simple "OR" instead of "AND"
for some conditions.

I was actually thinking of this problem recently but not only for two
options but rather multiple options.

To be more specific, our drop-down form widgets have an attribute
"allow-multiple" or something like that which yields a list of values. This
cannot be currently handled by performFind and the other related search
services. So I think having an automatic "OR" on multiple dropdown values