Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by phil <ph...@redthreeconsulting.com> on 2006/06/09 17:18:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on AIX 5.3

Greetings all!

I've spend a good portion of this week trying to install Apache 2.0.58
on AIX 5.2 with the assistance of a helpful article:
http://people.apache.org/~trawick/apache-2-on-aix.html

However, no matter what I do the resulting httpd will not load any module:

# /usr/local/apache2/bin>./apachectl start
# Syntax error on line 233 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
# Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_access.so into server:
# /usr/local/apache2/bin>

That is all I get, two lines.  (If I comment out the LoadModule
directive on line 233 -- and all other LoadModule directives, I
instead get the expected error: "Invalid command 'Order', perhaps
mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
configuration")

This seemed a lot like the behaviour outlined in the article in "B18 - AIX 5.1
ML 0 won't build a server that will load DSOs", even though I am
running AIX 5.2.  However, there is an apache 1.3 that was built a
long time ago by someone who is no longer around, and it uses
LoadModule fine.  (The only LoadModule lines in the 1.3 httpd.conf are
mod_jk and libphp ... while 2.0 comes with a plethora of modules, but I
digress)

My question is, what can I do to get Apache 2.0 to compile with
module loading support (i.e., short of compiling it with static
modules which is really not recommended for us)?  Here is what I am
using to make:

CC=xlc_r ./configure --prefix=/usr/apache2 --with-mpm=worker
--enable-so --enable-layout=Apache --enable-mods-shared=most
--enable-maintainer-mode --with-expat=`pwd`/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat
--enable-static-support --without-berkeley-db && make && make install

Apache 2.0.58 on AIX 5.2   C for AIX Compiler, Version 6

>libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.53 2001/09/11 03:18:52)

Many thanks in advance,

Phil

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on AIX 5.3

Posted by JP <jp...@tulane.edu>.
> However, no matter what I do the resulting httpd will not load any module:
> That is all I get, two lines.  (If I comment out the LoadModule
>
> directive on line 233 -- and all other LoadModule directives, I
>
> instead get the expected error: "Invalid command 'Order', perhaps
>
> mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
>
> configuration")

This message is because you commented out some of the mod_auth* modules.
I'm not sure which one contains the "Order" directive, but it's one of
those.

> This seemed a lot like the behaviour outlined in the article in "B18 - AIX
> 5.1
>
> ML 0 won't build a server that will load DSOs", even though I am
>
> running AIX 5.2.  However, there is an apache 1.3 that was built a
>
> long time ago by someone who is no longer around, and it uses
>
> LoadModule fine.  (The only LoadModule lines in the 1.3 httpd.conf are
>
> mod_jk and libphp ... while 2.0 comes with a plethora of modules, but I
>
> digress)

I've got Apache 2.2.2 with DSO support working on AIX 5.2 with version 5 of
the C for AIX compiler.

> CC=xlc_r ./configure --prefix=/usr/apache2 --with-mpm=worker
>
> --enable-so --enable-layout=Apache --enable-mods-shared=most
>
> --enable-maintainer-mode --with-expat=`pwd`/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat
>
> --enable-static-support --without-berkeley-db && make && make install

When I ran configure, I didn't set the CC var.  Also, since apr is provided
in the distribution, I just used what it came with - didn't install anything
separately (libtool, etc.).  I recommend the bootstrap approach.  Get the
build running correctly with the default parameters then start adding one
parameter at a time.  I can say 2.2.2 works fine in my environment, but I've
never built Apache using the environment you've specified (2.0.58 w/ xlc 6).

JP