Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/02/20 23:42:23 UTC

Contributing to the Documentation

Hi all,

if you missed the numbers thread, I wrote up a short guide on how to contribute to the documentation:

  http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/contributing.html

It’s rather easy (git fork, clone, edit/add .rst files, commit, push, pull request, tl;dr: the regular GitHub workflow).

I hope this gets some of you motivated to turn some of the results that come up on this list into the documentation for posterity and easier finding.

Thanks for your patience and I’m looking forward to your contributions! :)

Jan

Re: Contributing to the Documentation

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 20 February 2013 23:42, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> if you missed the numbers thread, I wrote up a short guide on how to contribute to the documentation:
>
>   http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/contributing.html
>
> It’s rather easy (git fork, clone, edit/add .rst files, commit, push, pull request, tl;dr: the regular GitHub workflow).
>
> I hope this gets some of you motivated to turn some of the results that come up on this list into the documentation for posterity and easier finding.
>
> Thanks for your patience and I’m looking forward to your contributions! :)
>
> Jan

In fact you can go even better and edit small changes directly in
github, with an rst format preview in the browser.

- go straight to
https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tree/master/share/doc/src/ find your
file
-  click "edit" which will automagically fork and get you started in
online editing mode
- github UI renders most of the rst files correctly, so you can flick
between edit mode and preview mode to see what your edits look like.
No more waiting for a build to complete!

Pictures here http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Documentation#Driving_GitHub_UI
or try it yourself.

A++++++
Dave