Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/12 18:58:21 UTC

Solr Admin UI and SolrCloud

The admin UI (and kudos to _everyone_ who made the new version) could
use more "cloud awareness". There are cluster-wide operations and
individual node operations, they're intermixed at this point. Plus, we
make people switch between a UI and the command-line to accomplish
what they need to.

How can we restructure them? And should we?

Straw-man proposal follows. NOTE: I have no real attachment to this
layout, just looking to generate a discussion!

> split the cluster-wide operations and node-specific stuff into two pages (how to navigate?) The rest of the points are really for the cloud-specific page

> add a collections API interface, similar to the core admin bits. creating collections, adding nodes, all that stuff.

> querying should be do-able on a collection basis rather than after you've selected a node on a particular machine

> showing all the nodes on the system, even ones that don't host current shards would be great

> super, especially wonderful would be a way to select a node and add a replica right there for a particular shard, with drop-down lists showing available collections, available shards and even suggesting a name for it and all that kind of thing.

> ditto with creating new collections. A drop-down listing the available configs would be very cool

> some UI way to upload a config set. How would we keep security issues around allowing file uploads from being a problem?

Thoughts?

Re: Solr Admin UI and SolrCloud

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Stefan:

Sure, any time! I'm not -8 UTC (California) now. You're +1 or some
such? Just let me know when our schedules overlap.

I've  put up an umbrella JIRA (SOLR-6082) and made a couple of
sub-tasks as a start.

Here's the place I'm thinking of starting:

follow the SolrCloud getting started (see "Simple Two-Shard cluster on
the Same Machine" in the reference guide), EXCEPT
1> remove the entire "collection1" directory before you copy example to example2
2> start your two instances like this:
  > java -DzkRun -jar start.jar
  > java -Djetty.port=7574 -DzkHost=localhost:9983 -jar start.jar

Now open the cloud link and there are no nodes shown since there are
no collections defined. What's a poor user to do?

Posted by Stefan Matheis <ma...@gmail.com>.
Erick

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Well, Stefan's re-write qualifies as a heroic effort. I'm sure he'd
like collaborators though, it's just that I have zero skills in this
area....

I created an umbrella JIRA to track any work on this, probably best to
keep the discussion going there. See:

Best,
Erick

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
> I think there was a discussion/JIRA on moving to AngularJS (or
> ReactJS?). Maybe this should be a part of that discussion.
>
> What is the process for discussion UI? Was this a heroic effort by
> one/two individual or was there a subgroup of some sort?

The entire current state of the admin UI represents the work of many, but
I believe the overall design and initial implementation was done by Stefan
Matheis, in SOLR-2399. The work earned him a committer role in the
project. Now he is the "owner" of the admin UI code.

If you are proposing something huge, it would be a good idea to start a
discussion here. If it's relatively straightforward,  especially if you
have a patch, searching for an issue in jira and opening a new one if
nothing exists already is a good first step.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr Admin UI and SolrCloud

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.