Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jayesh Thakrar <j_...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/10/16 01:29:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-59 : Proposal for a kafka broker command

Hi All,
A wiki page and development for this KIP was completed last June.However, it utilized the older Admin API that used zookeeper.
Then I was told to hold-off until the new Admin API was ready.So this KIP lay dormant since then.I have rewritten the broker command now and would like to bring it up for discussion or know the next step if its not discussion.
Here are the details:
KIP Wiki: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-59%3A+Proposal+for+a+kafka+broker+command
Jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-3663
Pull Request: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/1539
Thank you in advance for your help/guidance.
Jayesh Thakrar

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-59 : Proposal for a kafka broker command

Posted by Tom Bentley <t....@gmail.com>.
Hi Jayesh,

Thanks, for the KIP. I few questions/points:

1. Could you elaborate on the motivation a little? Currently it seems to
boil down to "Kafka doesn't have this, yet", but that's not, in itself, a
reason to add it. What can't be done without this change?

2. The second bullet in the "Broker information" list says "Controller
info": Is this simply whether the broker is the controller, or is there
more to it?

3. It would be better if the example program outputs each included the
command line which would produce them. Currently only the first one does.

4. Why did you choose that output format? The long lines, when wrapped
inside a terminal window, might be hard to read, and it doesn't seem very
consistent with the other tools.

5. In one place you say a '-' prefix will be used to denote trailing
partitions, and somewhere else you say '-' is used for under-replicated
partitions. I think, but am not certain, that you're using "trailing" as a
synonym for "under-replicated", and so these two sentences are saying the
same thing. "Trailing" could be taken to mean "following", so it would be
good to clarify what you mean here.

6.The KIP doesn't say so explicitly, but I think you will need to add at
least one method to the AdminClient to support this functionality. You
should describe that API, since the AdminClient is a public interface to
Kafka.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.