Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/09/27 07:57:28 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Merlin 3.0 beta 1 release

The Avalon Team is proud to announce the release of Merlin 3.0 Beta 1.
Merlin is an advanced component and service management solution that
simplifies and enhances component development, assembly and service
deployment concerns.

Merlin 3.0 binaries can be downloaded from the following site:

  http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/merlin/binaries/

Key Product Features:

  * auto assembly
  * muli-layer configuration management
  * advanced context management
  * composite component management
  * packaged deployment scenarios
  * local and remote repository integration
  * integral jar extension management
  * Maven plugin support for meta-info generation and simulated deployment
  * product packaging and install services
  * based on Avalon component meta model
  * support for legacy migration

Product documentation, tutorials and specifications are available on the
Merlin Home site http://avalon.apache.org/merlin or the download link
referenced above.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Dependency Lookup Was: OpenIM 1.1 (based on Merlin 3.0 beta1)

Posted by hammett <ho...@bvtibusiness.com.br>.
Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

hammett wrote:

>Hi. I was checking OpenIM implementation and found some things:
>
>- Did you consider using prevayler as a Storage?
>
>- The AccountRepositoryHolderImpl has a ownership issue (that I face a
>few weeks ago by myself)
>  - You declare that 'AccountRepositoryHolderImpl' class depends on
>Account service
>  - After that you *create* on or more Account (m_serviceManager.lookup(
>"Account" );)
>
>Now the question: how merlin handles the Account lookup? It creates a
>new one for each lookup (his lifestyle is 'transient') or returns the
>same one?

A transient lifestyle returns a totally new instance for each lookup.

>Maybe the component dependency could declare a cardinality.

Can you provide a little more detail about what your thinking here?

Steve.

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.
On Monday 29 September 2003 16:26, hammett wrote:
> [...]

it is supposed to be released in SessionImpl... but now you tell me, this
could not work since I'm not using the same servicemanager...

good point! I'll fixe that

Re: Dependency Lookup Was: OpenIM 1.1 (based on Merlin 3.0 beta1)

Posted by hammett <ho...@bvtibusiness.com.br>.
On Monday 29 September 2003 15:26, hammett wrote:

> > Now the question: how merlin handles the Account lookup? It creates
> > new one for each lookup (his lifestyle is 'transient') or returns
the
> > same one? Maybe the component dependency could declare a
cardinality.

> seems to create a new one each time.

Nice. That's what I'm looking for. You take the Account ownership, is
there a place where you pass the Account back to the lookupManager (for
release) ?

Thanks

hammett

Re: Dependency Lookup Was: OpenIM 1.1 (based on Merlin 3.0 beta1)

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.
On Monday 29 September 2003 15:26, hammett wrote:
> Hi. I was checking OpenIM implementation and found some things:
>
> - Did you consider using prevayler as a Storage?

I'm considering hibernate

> - The AccountRepositoryHolderImpl has a ownership issue (that I face a
> few weeks ago by myself)
>   - You declare that 'AccountRepositoryHolderImpl' class depends on
> Account service
>   - After that you *create* on or more Account (m_serviceManager.lookup(
> "Account" );)

hu? sorry do you mean?