Posted to notifications@commons.apache.org by Apache Jenkins Server <je...@builds.apache.org> on 2019/06/20 11:20:28 UTC

[Rng] Change on branch "master": commons-rng - Build # 360 - Failure

The Apache Jenkins build system has built commons-rng (build #360)

Check console output at https://builds.apache.org/job/commons-rng/360/ to view the results.

Re: [Rng] Jenkins JDK 1.6 failing

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.
On 20/06/2019 13:47, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> Hello Gary.
>
> Le jeu. 20 juin 2019 à 14:31, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> Java 6? Really?
> You ask this recurrently. ;-)
>
> [I know this is not the right thread to answer it but anyways...]
>
> That [RNG] still supports Java 6 is a tribute to what I've been
> advocating for ages:  Better create small and focused components
> rather than pile up code in big monolithic libraries.  That way, we
> can have both stability (for components that *really* don't need the
> bleeding edge features of the JDK), and fun (developing functionality
> that benefits staying in sync with the newer JDK features).
>
> Regards,
> Gilles
Random number generation is just arithmetic. The main routines could
probably be done in Java 1.

There is nothing outside of the main routines that absolutely requires
newer features. It does use generics from 1.5.

I'm not sure why it is Java 1.6 and not Java 1.5. Probably due to EOL
for Java 1.5.

There are some things that could be picked from the Streams API (as
discussed recently on a thread about dynamic shuffling). But that
reached no conclusion as to whether it was a feature with real merit.

Alex

Re: [Rng] Jenkins JDK 1.6 failing

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Gary.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Java 6? Really?

Gary

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.
On 20/06/2019 13:30, sebb wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 13:06, Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20/06/2019 12:45, Apache Jenkins Server wrote:
>>> The Apache Jenkins build system has built commons-rng (build #361)

>>> Check console output at https://builds.apache.org/job/commons-rng/361/ to view the results.
>> Jenkins is failing the RAT check on JDK 1.6 with apparently 332
>> unapproved licences.
>>
>> It passes on the JDK 1.9 build.
>>
>> A vanilla git clone of the repo builds fine with this many files
>> included by rat:
>>
>> [INFO] 81 implicit excludes (use -debug for more details).
>> [INFO] 19 explicit excludes (use -debug for more details).
>> [INFO] 138 resources included (use -debug for more details)
>>
>> The same log output from Jenkins reads:
>>
>> [INFO] 80 implicit excludes (use -debug for more details).
>> [INFO] 19 explicit excludes (use -debug for more details).
>> [INFO] 627 resources included (use -debug for more details)
>>
>> The last successful build on Jenkins reads:
>>
>> [INFO] 81 implicit excludes (use -debug for more details).
>> [INFO] 19 explicit excludes (use -debug for more details).
>> [INFO] 136 resources included (use -debug for more details)
>>
>> Since this build I added two files so that matches with the 138
>> resources in the vanilla build.
>>
>> So for some reason the latest builds have a lot more files in the
>> working directory.
>>
>> Is there a way to see the working directory that Jenkins is using and
>> the rat.txt report? There is something that should not be there.
> https://builds.apache.org/job/commons-rng/ws/
>
> However AFAIK this will be updated for each build, so you may need to
> suspend builds temporarily.
Thanks. The rat.txt shows that there is now the following directory

.repository

It belongs to Maven and contains poms, jars and sha1 hashes.

I'll add it to .gitignore.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

[Rng] Change on branch "master": commons-rng - Build # 361 - Still Failing

Posted by Apache Jenkins Server <je...@builds.apache.org>.