Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Robert Dyer <ps...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/03 20:20:00 UTC

Job status shows 0's for counters

I just noticed the job status for MR jobs tends to show 0's in the Map and
Reduce columns but actually shows the totals correctly.

I am not sure exactly when this started happening, but this cluster was
upgraded from Hadoop 1.0.4 to 1.1.2 and now to 1.2.1.  It definitely worked
fine on 1.0.4, but I don't recall testing on 1.1.2.

Anyone else running into this issue?

Map-Reduce Framework Reduce input groups 0 0 0  Map output materialized
bytes 0 0 5,910  Combine output records 0 0 250  Map input records 0 0
48,556  Reduce shuffle bytes 0 0 4,960  Physical memory (bytes) snapshot 0 0
56,364,822,528
Note that not *all* counters are doing this!  Some still show properly:

FileSystemCounters HDFS_BYTES_READ 844,499,067,747 0 844,499,067,747
FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN 4,879,509 60,403 4,939,912

Re: Job status shows 0's for counters

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.
Thanks all for the JIRA links.

It appears this was 'fixed' in an older JIRA... but looking at the source
in my 1.2.1 webapps directory, it definitely is not fixed!

I'll comment on the new JIRA.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
<vi...@apache.org>wrote:

> We've observed this internally too.
>
> Shinichi, tx for the patch. Will follow up on JIRA to get it committed.
>
> Thanks,
> +Vinod
>
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Shinichi Yamashita wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I reported this issue in MAPREDUCE-5376 (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5376) and attached a
> patch.
> But it is not fixed by the current release.
>
> Thanks,
> Shinichi
>
> (2013/09/03 11:20), Robert Dyer wrote:
>
> I just noticed the job status for MR jobs tends to show 0's in the Map
>
> and Reduce columns but actually shows the totals correctly.
>

> I am not sure exactly when this started happening, but this cluster was
>
> upgraded from Hadoop 1.0.4 to 1.1.2 and now to 1.2.1.  It definitely
>
> worked fine on 1.0.4, but I don't recall testing on 1.1.2.
>

> Anyone else running into this issue?
>

> Map-Reduce Framework Reduce input groups 0 0 0
>
> Map output materialized bytes 0 0 5,910
>
> Combine output records 0 0 250
>
> Map input records 0 0 48,556
>
> Reduce shuffle bytes 0 0 4,960
>
> Physical memory (bytes) snapshot 0 0 56,364,822,528
>

> Note that not *all* counters are doing this!  Some still show properly:
>

> FileSystemCounters HDFS_BYTES_READ 844,499,067,747 0 844,499,067,747
>
> FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN 4,879,509 60,403 4,939,912
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Job status shows 0's for counters

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

<vi...@apache.org>wrote:

> We've observed this internally too.
>
> Shinichi, tx for the patch. Will follow up on JIRA to get it committed.
>
> Thanks,
> +Vinod
>
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Shinichi Yamashita wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I reported this issue in MAPREDUCE-5376 (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5376) and attached a
> patch.
> But it is not fixed by the current release.
>
> Thanks,
> Shinichi
>
> (2013/09/03 11:20), Robert Dyer wrote:
>
> I just noticed the job status for MR jobs tends to show 0's in the Map
>
> and Reduce columns but actually shows the totals correctly.
>

> I am not sure exactly when this started happening, but this cluster was
>
> upgraded from Hadoop 1.0.4 to 1.1.2 and now to 1.2.1.  It definitely
>
> worked fine on 1.0.4, but I don't recall testing on 1.1.2.
>

> Anyone else running into this issue?
>

> Map-Reduce Framework Reduce input groups 0 0 0
>
> Map output materialized bytes 0 0 5,910
>
> Combine output records 0 0 250
>
> Map input records 0 0 48,556
>
> Reduce shuffle bytes 0 0 4,960
>
> Physical memory (bytes) snapshot 0 0 56,364,822,528
>

> Note that not *all* counters are doing this!  Some still show properly:
>

> FileSystemCounters HDFS_BYTES_READ 844,499,067,747 0 844,499,067,747
>
> FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN 4,879,509 60,403 4,939,912
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Job status shows 0's for counters

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

<vi...@apache.org>wrote:

> We've observed this internally too.
>
> Shinichi, tx for the patch. Will follow up on JIRA to get it committed.
>
> Thanks,
> +Vinod
>
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Shinichi Yamashita wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I reported this issue in MAPREDUCE-5376 (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5376) and attached a
> patch.
> But it is not fixed by the current release.
>
> Thanks,
> Shinichi
>
> (2013/09/03 11:20), Robert Dyer wrote:
>
> I just noticed the job status for MR jobs tends to show 0's in the Map
>
> and Reduce columns but actually shows the totals correctly.
>

> I am not sure exactly when this started happening, but this cluster was
>
> upgraded from Hadoop 1.0.4 to 1.1.2 and now to 1.2.1.  It definitely
>
> worked fine on 1.0.4, but I don't recall testing on 1.1.2.
>

> Anyone else running into this issue?
>

> Map-Reduce Framework Reduce input groups 0 0 0
>
> Map output materialized bytes 0 0 5,910
>
> Combine output records 0 0 250
>
> Map input records 0 0 48,556
>
> Reduce shuffle bytes 0 0 4,960
>
> Physical memory (bytes) snapshot 0 0 56,364,822,528
>

> Note that not *all* counters are doing this!  Some still show properly:
>

> FileSystemCounters HDFS_BYTES_READ 844,499,067,747 0 844,499,067,747
>
> FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN 4,879,509 60,403 4,939,912
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Job status shows 0's for counters

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

<vi...@apache.org>wrote:

> We've observed this internally too.
>
> Shinichi, tx for the patch. Will follow up on JIRA to get it committed.
>
> Thanks,
> +Vinod
>
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Shinichi Yamashita wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I reported this issue in MAPREDUCE-5376 (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5376) and attached a
> patch.
> But it is not fixed by the current release.
>
> Thanks,
> Shinichi
>
> (2013/09/03 11:20), Robert Dyer wrote:
>
> I just noticed the job status for MR jobs tends to show 0's in the Map
>
> and Reduce columns but actually shows the totals correctly.
>

> I am not sure exactly when this started happening, but this cluster was
>
> upgraded from Hadoop 1.0.4 to 1.1.2 and now to 1.2.1.  It definitely
>
> worked fine on 1.0.4, but I don't recall testing on 1.1.2.
>

> Anyone else running into this issue?
>

> Map-Reduce Framework Reduce input groups 0 0 0
>
> Map output materialized bytes 0 0 5,910
>
> Combine output records 0 0 250
>
> Map input records 0 0 48,556
>
> Reduce shuffle bytes 0 0 4,960
>
> Physical memory (bytes) snapshot 0 0 56,364,822,528
>

> Note that not *all* counters are doing this!  Some still show properly:
>

> FileSystemCounters HDFS_BYTES_READ 844,499,067,747 0 844,499,067,747
>
> FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN 4,879,509 60,403 4,939,912
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Job status shows 0's for counters