Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com> on 2013/05/30 01:59:03 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Pushback 4.2.0 Feature Freeze

All,

Since we have taken an eight (8) week delay completing the 4.1.0 release, I would like propose that we re-evaluate the timelines for the 4.2.0 release.  When the schedule was originally conceived, it was intended that the project would have eight (8) weeks to focus exclusively on 4.2.0 development.  Unfortunately, this delay has created an unfortunate conflict between squashing 4.1.0 bugs and completing 4.2.0 features.  I propose that we acknowledge this schedule impact, and push back the 4.2.0 feature freeze date by eight (8) weeks to 2 August 2013.  This delay will give the project time to properly review merges and address issues holistically, and, hopefully, relieve a good bit of the stress incurred by the simultaneous 4.1.0 and 4.2.0 activities.

Thanks,
-John

RE: [PROPOSAL] Pushback 4.2.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.
Compromise without change?

Bring 4.3 forward by two months, leave 4.2 as it is.

DL

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
That's why I brought up the cycle. If we make an exception, it feels
like bending the rules, which everyone can point to in the future. I'd
rather change the rules, and in the process attempt to head-off future
attempts to bend the rules, but at some point I suppose it's just
academic. Change is change, whether temporary or permanent.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Thanks Chip

Thanks
Animesh

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
All,

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:13:53AM -0400, John Burwell wrote:
> Chip,
>
> As I understand the [VOTE] extension email, the code freeze is currently extended to Tuesday, 4 June 2012, regardless of the vote outcome.  If my understanding is correct, then we have three more days to complete the review/feedback loop -- correct?

That was IMO, but I think it's only right...  we were discussing this
and didn't come to a consensus.  A couple of days doesn't hurt us in the
long run, in order to have time to come to a consensus.

Someone can yell violently at me if they strongly disagree...  but I
thought it was the best course of action.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pushback 4.2.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Mike please start your proposal in a separate email thread.

Thanks
Animesh

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Here is my design document:

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

[Animesh>] In your previous email you had asked on how to handle if you are not able to complete the implementation by freeze date and I had responded that we are on time bound release and if a logical chunk is available by freeze date that has been tested and ready, that chunk can come in. My bad I did not realize that feature proposal was not submitted for your plugin. I see your patch request https://reviews.apache.org/r/11479/ submitted on 5/28 has good description but it's not complete as per our design documents. Here is link to 4.2 Design Documents on wiki https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/dzXVAQ. Also I did not find a JIRA ticket.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi Animesh,

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Chiradeep,

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

On 30 May 2013, at 06:34, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

> On May 29, 2013, at 7:59 PM, John Burwell <jb...@basho.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Since we have taken an eight (8) week delay completing the 4.1.0 release, I would like propose that we re-evaluate the timelines for the 4.2.0 release.  When the schedule was originally conceived, it was intended that the project would have eight (8) weeks to focus exclusively on 4.2.0 development.  Unfortunately, this delay has created an unfortunate conflict between squashing 4.1.0 bugs and completing 4.2.0 features.  I propose that we acknowledge this schedule impact, and push back the 4.2.0 feature freeze date by eight (8) weeks to 2 August 2013.  This delay will give the project time to properly review merges and address issues holistically, and, hopefully, relieve a good bit of the stress incurred by the simultaneous 4.1.0 and 4.2.0 activities.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -John
>
> This is a reasonable idea IMO. I'd probably only extend by a month
> personally, but your logic is sound.  I'd much rather have reasoned
> discussions about code than argue procedural issues about timing any
> day. This might help facilitate that on some of the features folks are
> scrambling to complete.
>
> Others?

I am +1 on this, 4 weeks maybe ?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pushback 4.2.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Murali Reddy <mu...@gmail.com>.
Yes. We agreed on time based release. I am failing to see what would extending freeze date will achieve.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

[Animesh>] Yes if we push out the freeze then the release date also gets pushed out by the same timeframe

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
David and Chip,

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Marcus,

I think it best to defer the larger release cycle length question to another time and place.  As Chip stated earlier, the consensus is to maintain the current freeze date.  Given the time sensitivity, my proposal can be considered resolved.

Thanks,
-John

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by murali reddy <mu...@gmail.com>.
We should do a health-check of proposed features [1] which are at risk for
4.2 feature freeze before deciding to re-evaluate timelines.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/4.2+Design+Documents

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM, John Burwell <jb...@basho.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Since we have taken an eight (8) week delay completing the 4.1.0 release, I would like propose that we re-evaluate the timelines for the 4.2.0 release.  When the schedule was originally conceived, it was intended that the project would have eight (8) weeks to focus exclusively on 4.2.0 development.  Unfortunately, this delay has created an unfortunate conflict between squashing 4.1.0 bugs and completing 4.2.0 features.  I propose that we acknowledge this schedule impact, and push back the 4.2.0 feature freeze date by eight (8) weeks to 2 August 2013.  This delay will give the project time to properly review merges and address issues holistically, and, hopefully, relieve a good bit of the stress incurred by the simultaneous 4.1.0 and 4.2.0 activities.
>
> Thanks,
> -John

Perhaps it's implied, but this really means pushing the entire
schedule 8 weeks, not just feature freeze?

I hope that it doesn't turn into a race to add yet more features that
were being planned for injection into 4.3

--David