Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jonathan Wilson <Jo...@walshwestern.com> on 2005/01/28 08:08:39 UTC

Berkeley DB error with Checkout, but List works fine

I posted this first to the Users mailing list without any luck so I'm
going to try here now.
-----

Has anybody ever seen the following message???  I know there isn't a
problem with the file system lacking space and am pretty sure our
permissions are okay, as it's the person who created the SVN Repo that
is trying this command.  (SVN 1.1.3, I do have close to 1450 file in a
single directory)

> bash-2.05b$ svn checkout file:///svn
> svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
> svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn'
> svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
/svn/db:
> Not enough space
> svn: bdb: mmap: Not enough space

If I run this command there isn't a problem:

> bash-2.05b$ svn list file:///svn
> 0908vf-inventorywhiploc.p
> 12032003conthist.p
> etc...

Any thoughts?

- Jonathan

Re: Berkeley DB error with Checkout, but List works fine

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Jonathan Wilson wrote:

>I posted this first to the Users mailing list without any luck so I'm
>going to try here now.
>-----
>
>Has anybody ever seen the following message???  I know there isn't a
>problem with the file system lacking space and am pretty sure our
>permissions are okay, as it's the person who created the SVN Repo that
>is trying this command.  (SVN 1.1.3, I do have close to 1450 file in a
>single directory)
>

>>bash-2.05b$ svn checkout file:///svn
>>svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
>>svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn'
>>svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
>>

>/svn/db:
>

>>Not enough space
>>svn: bdb: mmap: Not enough space
>>

>If I run this command there isn't a problem:
>

>>bash-2.05b$ svn list file:///svn
>>0908vf-inventorywhiploc.p
>>12032003conthist.p
>>etc...
>>

>Any thoughts?

Are you trying this on HP-UX, by any chance?

-- Brane

Re: Berkeley DB error with Checkout, but List works fine

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.
Philip Martin wrote:

>"Jonathan Wilson" <Jo...@walshwestern.com> writes:
>

>>Has anybody ever seen the following message???  I know there isn't a
>>problem with the file system lacking space and am pretty sure our
>>permissions are okay, as it's the person who created the SVN Repo that
>>is trying this command.  (SVN 1.1.3, I do have close to 1450 file in a
>>single directory)
>>

>>>bash-2.05b$ svn checkout file:///svn
>>>svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
>>>svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn'
>>>svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
>>>

>>/svn/db:
>>

>>>Not enough space
>>>svn: bdb: mmap: Not enough space
>>>

>>If I run this command there isn't a problem:
>>

>>>bash-2.05b$ svn list file:///svn
>>>0908vf-inventorywhiploc.p
>>>12032003conthist.p
>>>etc...
>>>

>>Any thoughts?
>>

>I think checkout uses two database connections while ls uses only one.
>Perhaps you are hitting a process limit, what does ulimit report?
>Running "strace svn ..." might provide more information.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that the strings table file is
2 GB or some large file limit for mmap, and that svn list doesn't access
that file since it is only getting meta-data, thus the BDB environment
does not try to mmap the strings file.

Re: Berkeley DB error with Checkout, but List works fine

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

--
Philip Martin