Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by hiram <hi...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/11 23:56:24 UTC

Upgrading

Hi!

I'm currently using spam assassin 3.0.3 in a debian-sarge distribution. I'm
trying to upgrade from 3.0.3 to 3.2.4. Following the upgrading method
described in the wiki I type:
# apt-get install spamassassin
but I get:
spamassassin is already the newest version

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to upgrade perl as well?

Many thanks beforehand,

Hiram

Re: Upgrading

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
> Hi Jim!
>
> Yep, that's exactly what I meant, I change to directory
> "/etc/init.d/" and from the root shell prompt "#" I write:
> spamassassin restart
> But it seems that it wants to process the file "restart",
> instead of understanding the option restart.
>
> Thanks for your answer,
>
> /Hiram

Linux shell does not run commands from the current directory, but from that PATH environment variable, which does not have current directory in it.

So your command will start /usr/bin/spamassassin and not the /etc/init.d/spamassassin

/usr/bin/spamassassin is the scanner for spam, and it tries to open the file given to it as a parameter, in your case: "restart". As there is no file "restart" in your current directory, it complains.

You have to command "/etc/init.d/spammassassin restart" and there is no point on changing to that directory beforehand.

If you have a RedHat or SuSE based Linux distro, you can also use the "service" command. "service spamassassin restart"

Re: Upgrading

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 09:49, hiram wrote:
> Hi Jim!
>
> Yep, that's exactly what I meant, I change to directory "/etc/init.d/" and
> from the root shell prompt "#" I write:
> spamassassin restart
> But it seems that it wants to process the file "restart", instead of
> understanding the option restart.

You should be using the command

	service spamassassin restart

Root can run "service" from any current working directory. If you read
the /etc/init.d/spamassassin script you'll see that it expects am
argument telling it whether you want to start/stop/restart spamassassin
or to check its running status.

Martin

Re: Upgrading

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 13:59 12-04-2008, Grant Peel wrote:
>so up to this point, I have been cpoying the contents of
>"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008/updates_spamassassin_org" to "
>/usr/local/share/spamassassin"
>
>Based on what you guys are telling me, I bet there is some
>configuration knob somewhere (to forgo the copying bit) that I am
>missing .... would anyone like to take the time to explain?

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates

Regards,
-sm

Re: Upgrading

Posted by Grant Peel <gp...@thenetnow.com>.
Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.

Jim said:
   ./spamassassin restart

Note that "./" at the beginning of the command that Jim told you to use.
If you do not understand the importance of that "./" then you need to do
some reading to learn about it or you will have problems with more than
just Spamassasin.

When first encountering Unix little details like that one are easy to
overlook and and get confusing unexpected results. Once you learn those
important basic concepts life is easier.

Good luck and understanding.

> Hi Jim!
>
> Yep, that's exactly what I meant, I change to directory "/etc/init.d/" and
> from the root shell prompt "#" I write:
> spamassassin restart
> But it seems that it wants to process the file "restart", instead of
> understanding the option restart.
>
> Thanks for your answer,
>
> /Hiram
>

> Jim Knuth wrote:
>>
>> Am 12.04.2008 0:41 Uhr, schrieb hiram:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> It's Hiram again. I've updated the "local.cf" file and I'm trying to
>>> restart
>>> spam assassin.
>>> I write:
>>> /etc/init.d/# spamassassin restart
>>> But I get:
>>> Unable to open restart: No such file or directory

[snip..]
>> so
>>
>> /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
>>
>> or so
>>
>> cd /etc/init.d/
>>
>> ./spamassassin restart
>>
>> Linux basics. ;)

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Upgrading

Posted by hiram <hi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jarif,

No, the spam assasin is called by procmail. It seems that it was a problem
with a new whitelist entry not configured well. I rolled back the changes
now but still receive a couple of bounced emails from the half an hour I
changed the configuration.

Thanks for the advice.

Best regards,

/Hiram

----------------------------------
Is your Spamassassin started via an entry in /etc/postfix/master.cf?

I had such an installation at first years ago, and it managed to do just as
you described. It bounced all my email back..

I reconfigured it so that spamc is called by maildrop (could be procmail
too, of course). I think that is a better solution too, because I have no
need to send outgoing email to SA. If postfix calls SA via master.cf all
mail, including outgoing will be scanned.

Best regards,
jarif

Re: Upgrading

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

RE: Upgrading

Posted by hiram <hi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Mike,

RE: Upgrading

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.
Hello Hiram,

RE: Upgrading

Posted by hiram <hi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Mike,

RE: Upgrading

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.

Re: Upgrading

Re: Upgrading

Posted by hiram <hi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jim!

Re: Upgrading

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.
Am 12.04.2008 0:41 Uhr, schrieb hiram:
> Hi!
>
> It's Hiram again. I've updated the "local.cf" file and I'm trying to restart
> spam assassin.
> I write:
> /etc/init.d/# spamassassin restart
> But I get:
> Unable to open restart: No such file or directory
>
> What can I do to restart it? I'm running it in debian-sarge.
>
> I'm kind of very new to spam assassin, any help will be very appreciated!
>
> Thanks beforehand,
>
> /Hiram

so

Re: Upgrading