Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2016/05/31 05:20:23 UTC

Git Workflow?

I got to thinking about how we should work, and more specifically, how
we should accept PRs and such. jClouds has an excellent guide on this,
at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JCLOUDS/Git+workflow and
I think we should try to follow their guidelines for Pony Mail.

Having a guide on this would eliminate nasties we might encounter with
some PRs.

Thoughts?

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Git Workflow?

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 31/05/2016 09:24, Ulises wrote:
> I like the workflow. I'd change/add a small thing though:
>
> "Once the pull request is open and has been reviewed, address any review
> comments and add the changes in new commits. This will make it easier for
> the reviewer to focus only in the last changes without having to go again
> through the entire pull request."
>
> In my experience, it's also quiet beneficial to also squash into a single
> commit all the commits that have already been reviewed. This makes it a lot
> easier to review just the addressing of the reviewers' comments.

+1
We might say that it is fine to add as many commits as needed by reviews
but, before merging, squashing is required.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiricc�

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer, PonyMail PPMC
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Git Workflow?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 05/31/2016 09:24 AM, Ulises wrote:
> I like the workflow. I'd change/add a small thing though:
>
> "Once the pull request is open and has been reviewed, address any review
> comments and add the changes in new commits. This will make it easier for
> the reviewer to focus only in the last changes without having to go again
> through the entire pull request."
>
> In my experience, it's also quiet beneficial to also squash into a single
> commit all the commits that have already been reviewed. This makes it a lot
> easier to review just the addressing of the reviewers' comments.

I've added the workflow to
http://ponymail.incubator.apache.org/contribute.html - feel free to
change it :) You'll need to check out the site git repo and modify the
markdown file.

Repo is at:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-ponymail-site.git
(there's a readme in the source dir)

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Git Workflow?

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git Workflow?

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
Yes, squashing in as many logical commits as necessary (sometimes a single
commit is not the answer) should be a must IMO.

I was referring more to this sort of situation:
1. PR has 4 commits
2. $person reviews, leaves 2 comments
3. before addressing, the author of the PR squashes everything into as many
logical commits as necessary, i.e. get rid of commits that fix typos, etc.
4. address comments in new commits (perhaps 1 commit per comment addressed)
5. rinse and repeat

Before merging that PR, the commits should be squashed into as many commits
as necessary, always trying to keep the history as clean and logical as
possible.

Re: Git Workflow?

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: Git Workflow?