Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Ralf Hauenschild <ra...@uni-mainz.de> on 2015/10/23 14:35:05 UTC

Need a licence for usage in published program?

Ladies and gentlemen,

I'm about to use PDFBox in a Java application, which will be published
most likely under OGL / GNU Licence.

It's a bioinformatic open source research tool, available to everybody
for free.

Do I have to buy any licence for PDFBox?
And would I, if the Java tool was commercial?

Best regards,

Ralf Hauenschild

Re: Need a licence for usage in published program?

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 23.10.2015 um 14:35 schrieb Ralf Hauenschild <ra...@uni-mainz.de>:
>
> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> I'm about to use PDFBox in a Java application, which will be published most likely under OGL / GNU Licence.
>
> It's a bioinformatic open source research tool, available to everybody for free.
>
> Do I have to buy any licence for PDFBox?
> And would I, if the Java tool was commercial?

PDFBox is licensed according to the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0. http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>. In addition you can find some information about using Apache licensed software in GPL licensed software http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html <http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html>. Hope that helps to answer your question.

BR
Maruan