Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com> on 2002/09/04 13:58:17 UTC

APR libtool problems (Solaris)

Hi,

I have a gcc configured to use a native ld.
I am making in httpd-2.0:
LD=gnuld \
CC=gcc \
. configure

The configure of the APR detects the ld used by gcc (native ld) but accepts my
choice: gnu ld and configure libtool for gnu ld.
The problem is that gcc calls the native ld and not the gnuld and the build of
Apache failed.

The gcc faq tells:
+++
GCC searches the PATH for an assembler and a loader, but it only does so after
searching a directory list hard-coded in the GCC executables.
+++

So the user choice is only valid if the ld return by 'gcc -print-prog-name=ld'
is not valid (not installed for example).

Any comments?

Cheers

Jean-frederic

Re: APR libtool problems (Solaris)

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Clere, Jean-Frederic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a gcc configured to use a native ld.
> I am making in httpd-2.0:
> LD=gnuld \
> CC=gcc \
> . configure
>
> The configure of the APR detects the ld used by gcc (native ld) but
> accepts my choice: gnu ld and configure libtool for gnu ld.
> The problem is that gcc calls the native ld and not the gnuld and the
> build of Apache failed.
>
> The gcc faq tells:
> +++
> GCC searches the PATH for an assembler and a loader, but it only does so
> after searching a directory list hard-coded in the GCC executables.
> +++
>
> So the user choice is only valid if the ld return by 'gcc
> -print-prog-name=ld' is not valid (not installed for example).
>
> Any comments?

Another point would be to solve the things like:
+++
+ /export/home2/apache20/apache20/bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 246 of /export/home2/apache20/apache20/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /export/home2/apache20/apache20/modules/mod_status.so into server:
ld.so.1: /export/home2/apache20/apache20/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error:
file /export/home2/apache20/apache20/modules/mod_status.so: symbol __floatdisf:
referenced symbol not found
+++
By dectecting gcc + native ld and adding `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name` to LDFLAGS.

My machine says:
+++
bash-2.03$ gcc -print-libgcc-file-name
/opt/SMAWPlus/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.0.4/libgcc.a
+++

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Clere, Jean-Frederic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a gcc configured to use a native ld.
> I am making in httpd-2.0:
> LD=gnuld \
> CC=gcc \
> . configure
>
> The configure of the APR detects the ld used by gcc (native ld) but
> accepts my choice: gnu ld and configure libtool for gnu ld.
> The problem is that gcc calls the native ld and not the gnuld and the
> build of Apache failed.
>
> The gcc faq tells:
> +++
> GCC searches the PATH for an assembler and a loader, but it only does so
> after searching a directory list hard-coded in the GCC executables.
> +++
>
> So the user choice is only valid if the ld return by 'gcc
> -print-prog-name=ld' is not valid (not installed for example).
>
> Any comments?

Another related point: it would be nice to solve the things like:
+++