Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Cédric Jeanneret <cj...@tengu.ch> on 2010/09/09 22:25:36 UTC

[configuration] handle_user and autolearn

Hello,

I'm using spamassassin for some weeks, and all is working fine. I just
have two questions:

1. While checking my logs, I find this string each time a mail is
filtered:
Sep  9 10:59:45 HOSTNAME spamd[3126]: spamd: handle_user unable to find
user: 'USERNAME'
Sep  9 10:59:45 HOSTNAME spamd[3126]: spamd: processing message
<ms...@other.domain.ltd> for USERNAME:1004

where USERNAME comes from USERNAME@domain.ltd

I don't know what it means, what it can break, and how to avoid this
message. SA is flagging messages without problem, but... well, I considere
it as an error, and I'd like to know what to do to prevent this error.

I fgrep-ed into spamassassin configuration, there seems to be no mention
of a user configuration.

2. While checking mail headers, I see  autolearn=unavailable in
X-Spam-Status header. Is autolearn a good thing ? I have a script running
once a day on my spam directory to learn "new" spams (spam not detected I
move into this directory manually).
If autolearn is great, how can I activate it ?

Thank you for you answers.

Best regards,

C. Jeanneret

Re: [configuration] handle_user and autolearn

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Cédric Jeanneret wrote:

> I'm using spamassassin for some weeks, and all is working fine. I just
> have two questions:
>
> 1. While checking my logs, I find this string each time a mail is
> filtered:
> Sep  9 10:59:45 HOSTNAME spamd[3126]: spamd: handle_user unable to find
> user: 'USERNAME'
> Sep  9 10:59:45 HOSTNAME spamd[3126]: spamd: processing message
> <ms...@other.domain.ltd> for USERNAME:1004
>
> where USERNAME comes from USERNAME@domain.ltd

I assume "domain.ltd" is your domain?

Is your MTA configured to accept any recipient address, even if it does
not exist? If so, you might want to consider turning that feature off, so
that the MTA will reject invalid usernames at SMTP time.

   I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft.
                           -- James Allchin, Microsoft VP of Platforms
  8 days until the 223rd anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution