Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Paul Tremblay <ph...@earthlink.net> on 2004/05/30 06:11:19 UTC

proposed font project

I have been hard at work collecting high-quality fonts from the web,
generating an XML metrics from these fonts, creating fragments that one
can plug into the fop configuration file, and write short fop-xml files
to display the qualities of these fonts.

I think think that FOP could benefit from having a central place where
one could download these fonts and metrics files to get almost instant
fonts.

Does anyone else feel this would be helpful? I had planned to make the
fonts and metrics file avaible on Sourceforge. Any thoughts?

Paul

Re: Image Size Issue

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Jun 2, 2004, at 6:42 PM, Benjohn P. Villedo wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2004 at 14:51, Chris Bowditch wrote:
>> One possible cause is that you havent specified width and height
>> attributes on
>> the external-graphic tag. If you dont specify the width and height,
>> FOP
>> assumes 72dpi and if you have a high res graphic being rendered at
>> 72dpi the
>> result is the dimensions are bigger than a page and the image will be
>> dropped.
>> Do you see any warnings at the console when you run from the command
>> line?
>>
>> Chris
>
> very true i didn't specify width and height because the images that
> are being attached to the pdf have variable dimensions. hmm so
> that's the behaviour of FOP. i actually tried changing the page size
> to 40x40inches and still the image did not display... as with regards
> to the command line warnings... i don't see them if there are any coz
> i just access the xml file via browser say i resulted to 1234.xml file
> access it via http://FQDN:8080/cocoon/xmlfiles/1234.pdf hope this
> information could further give enlightenment to this case... any other
> suggestions? all the best!!!
>
> pal,
> benjohn

This link has some good information about Graphics Resolution:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#resolution

In partciular, it indicates that if you specify a single dimension, it
will proprotionately scale the image to fit. Thus, you could specify a
maximum width (or height) and it would scale to that size. You just
need to be sure the corresponding image dimension doesn't put the image
off the page.

Web Maestro Clay

Re: Image Size Issue

Posted by "Benjohn P. Villedo" <bv...@chpii.com>.
On 2 Jun 2004 at 14:51, Chris Bowditch wrote:

> One possible cause is that you havent specified width and height attributes on
> the external-graphic tag. If you dont specify the width and height, FOP
> assumes 72dpi and if you have a high res graphic being rendered at 72dpi the
> result is the dimensions are bigger than a page and the image will be dropped.
> Do you see any warnings at the console when you run from the command line?
>
> Chris

very true i didn't specify width and height because the images that
are being attached to the pdf have variable dimensions. hmm so
that's the behaviour of FOP. i actually tried changing the page size
to 40x40inches and still the image did not display... as with regards
to the command line warnings... i don't see them if there are any coz
i just access the xml file via browser say i resulted to 1234.xml file  i

Re: Image Size Issue

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Image Size Issue

Posted by "Benjohn P. Villedo" <bv...@chpii.com>.
hi all,

Good Day!!!

i have read lots about images in PDF and have successfully
displayed an image already however i noticed on my system that it
could not accommodate an image greater than 60kb to 70kb of size,
what happens is i get an empty pdf file when the image size goes
higher than mentioned.

before creating the xml file i call:

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
org.apache.fop.image.FopImageFactory.resetCache();
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

as mentioned on one of the docs frees up memory to accommodate
image transactions. now on the XML file here is what i use:

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
<figure><photo
image="http://FQDN/images/drawings/B747/ThisIsATest-1234-
5678/.061_67-11-018-Sht5_RevA.jpg"/></figure>
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

and on the XSL file:

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
<xsl:template match="figure">
  <fo:block>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="photo">
  <fo:block text-align="center">
    <fo:external-graphic src="{@image}"/>
  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

my system runs on a Pentium 3 800Mhz with 256Mb RAM having:

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Operating System: Linux RedHat 7.2
Java: j2sdk1.4
Tomcat: jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27
FOP: fop-0.20.5
Cocoon: cocoon-2.1.2
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

ok where does this all boil down to? ... Image Quality... when i lower
down the image file size to 60Kb all the small figures, numbers and
tables get blurry to the point that even when the document gets
printed those small numbers could not be read anymore not to
mention the actual drawings/diagrams.... the original file size with
good quality could go up to 17x11inches in dimension @ 100 ppi
quality = 400Kb file size.... imagine bringing that down to 60Kbto
70Kb... i was hoping if anyone has a workaround for this case so as
i could still maintain the sharpness in detail of the images attached
in the PDF file... herewith i also attach the 60kb image for a better
view of the quality disintegration thanks for the attention... all the
best!!!

pal,
benjohn

Re: proposed font project

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 10:02:37PM -0700, Clay Leeds wrote:
> Paul Tremblay said:
> > I have been hard at work collecting high-quality fonts from the web,
> > generating an XML metrics from these fonts, creating fragments that one
> > can plug into the fop configuration file, and write short fop-xml files
> > to display the qualities of these fonts.
> >
> > I think think that FOP could benefit from having a central place where
> > one could download these fonts and metrics files to get almost instant
> > fonts.
> >
> > Does anyone else feel this would be helpful? I had planned to make the
> > fonts and metrics file avaible on Sourceforge. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Paul
>
> I was just thinking it would be good to add FONT resources to the FOP
> Resources or Fonts pages. This sounds like a fine idea to me. In addition,
> it might fit in to the XML Graphics spinoff currently being discussed.
>
> It would also be good to develop some sort of hyphenation foundry...

I still intend to create a SourceForge project for the hyphenation
files that do not comply with the Apache license, and therefore cannot
be made available with the FOP code. These should naturally go with
font resources with the same problem.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Re: Hyphenation foundry

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
I would like some rather different ideas:

FOX or FO-extra
AmFOra: an amphora for FO goodies
EuFOria: FO goodies that make FO users euphoric
Well-FO-Armed

Simon

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:40:21PM -0700, Clay Leeds wrote:
> Sure! I'd love to participate! I don't know how yet, though...

Such a project brings always more work with it than I care to do :-)

Re: Hyphenation foundry [was: Re: proposed font project]

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Jun 16, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Simon Pepping wrote:
> Hi Clay,

Hi Simon!

> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 10:02:37PM -0700, Clay Leeds wrote:
>> It would also be good to develop some sort of hyphenation foundry...
>
> I think it is time to create a project for the hyphenation files at
> Sourceforge. The project should be a home for all sorts of accessories
> to FOP, or even to FO processors in general. Do you want to
> participate? Do you know a nice name?
>
> Regards, Simon

Sure! I'd love to participate! I don't know how yet, though...

Ideas for names? I guess it depends on how 'we' want to position this
foundry. Is the foundry geared toward FOP users?

* fopstuff
* fop-stuff
* fostuff
* fo-stuff
* xslfostuff
* xsl-fo-stuff
* foptoys
* fop-toys
* fotoys
* fo-toys
* xslfotoys
* xsl-fo-toys
* fopaccessories
* fop-accessories
* foaccessories
* fo-accessories
* xslfoaccessories
* xsl-fo-accessories
* fopperipherals
* fop-peripherals
* foperipherals
* fo-peripherals
* xslfoperipherals
* xsl-fo-peripherals

I don't have a particular favorite, although since there are so many,
it wouldn't be very helpful if I didn't 'choose' one or two. I like the
ones *with* the hyphen (no pun intended! ;-) -- which makes it easier
to read):

* xsl-fo-toys
* xsl-fo-stuff

In addition, since we want it to be of broader use (i.e., not just
FOP), I would think we'd want to use one of the 'fo' or 'xsl-fo'
prefixes (with or without hyphens) over the 'fop' based ones.

Hope this helps!

Web Maestro Clay <we...@mac.com>
---
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand
binary and those who don't.

Re: Hyphenation foundry [was: Re: proposed font project]

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Peter B. West wrote:
> Does Character.UnicodeBlock provide any of this functionality?

I'm not aware of any Java RTL class which reads the original
Unicode data files. Most of the data found its way into the
Charachter and Character.UnicodeBlock classes though, and
as of Unicode 4.0 the data seems to be stable enough that
outdated data isn't a problem (it never was for the vast
majority of the Java deveolpers). However, the line breaking
properties are not directly accessible, only through the
BreakIterator class. I think BIDI properties aren't directly
accessible either, so there may be still some need to get
Unicode data into some form into the program.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Hyphenation foundry [was: Re: proposed font project]

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Simon Pepping wrote:
>
>> I think it is time to create a project for the hyphenation files at
>> Sourceforge. The project should be a home for all sorts of accessories
>> to FOP, or even to FO processors in general. Do you want to
>> participate? Do you know a nice name?
>

> Well, sf.net would appeal to a larger body of developers, I think,
> and is certainly easier to menage for small projects, but we
> can also ask on jakarta-commons, xml-commons and even declare it
> a FOP (or XML graphics) subproject.
>
> Anyway, I just uploaded
>  http://cvs.apache.org/~pietsch/t.tar.gz
> which contains several unfinished stuff I produced the last year:
> - Utilities to generate tables for the Unicode line break property

Does Character.UnicodeBlock provide any of this functionality?

Peter

Re: Hyphenation foundry

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
Jörg,

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:08:46PM +0200, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Simon Pepping wrote:
> >This would not exclude making it available on a public web page?
> Yes. I'll replace the tarball with another one without the link
> parser but including the PatGen code. Unfortunately I detected the
> problem only after I uploaded the file and started composing the
> message, and I thought I'd leave it for now lest the other work
> go unnoticed.

OK. I am not in a hurry.

> >Regarding your items to chew on, would you want these to be part of a
> >web page for this code?
> Why not?

Sure. Just wanted to confirm.

Regards, Simon

Re: Hyphenation foundry

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Simon Pepping wrote:
> Do you want to pursue these efforts further, or do you
> want to make them available to others who might be interested?

I wanted to make my current code available to others, in particular
the PatGen port (which unfortunately went missing), in order to
avoid unnecessary duplication  of work.

> This would not exclude making it available on a public web page?
Yes. I'll replace the tarball with another one without the link
parser but including the PatGen code. Unfortunately I detected the
problem only after I uploaded the file and started composing the
message, and I thought I'd leave it for now lest the other work
go unnoticed.

> Regarding your items to chew on, would you want these to be part of a
> web page for this code?
Why not?

J.Pietschmann

Re: Hyphenation foundry

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Jun 20, 2004, at 12:14 PM, Simon Pepping wrote:
> Jörg,
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:15:42PM +0200, J.Pietschmann wrote:
>> Simon Pepping wrote:
>>> I think it is time to create a project for the hyphenation files at
>>> Sourceforge. The project should be a home for all sorts of
>>> accessories
>>> to FOP, or even to FO processors in general. Do you want to
>>> participate? Do you know a nice name?
>>
>> Well, sf.net would appeal to a larger body of developers, I think,
>> and is certainly easier to menage for small projects, but we
>> can also ask on jakarta-commons, xml-commons and even declare it
>> a FOP (or XML graphics) subproject.
>
> It is up to you to decide where you want your efforts to be host it. I
> am happy to present it in a sf.net project, but there is little more
> that I can do. Do you want to pursue these efforts further, or do you
> want to make them available to others who might be interested? I am
> afraid that is always a difficult proposition without active
> recruitment.

Echoing Simon... Bring it on! The more (components, peripherals & toys)
the merrier!... However if active recruitment is required be prepared
for... well, active recruiting...

as for a project name, how about calling it:

The XSL-FO Toybox
=================
http://xslfo-toy-box.sourceforge.net/

or simply:

The Toybox
=================
http://toybox.sourceforge.net/

or:

Toys
====
http://toys.sourceforge.net/

Toys for Geeks
==============
http://toys-for-geeks.sourceforge.net/

XML Toys
========
http://xmltoys.sourceforge.net/

Java XML Toys
=============
http://javaxmltoys.sourceforge.net/

or something... I think I like XMLToys...

>> Anyway, I just uploaded
>>  http://cvs.apache.org/~pietsch/t.tar.gz
>> which contains several unfinished stuff I produced the last year:
>> - Utilities to generate tables for the Unicode line break property
>> - A class keeping a line break state according to TR14, which should
>>   be easier to usee than the java.text.BreakIterator for FOP
>> - A Java port of MySpell
>> - An attempt at providing a layered hierarchy for spell checking
>>  and hyphenation interfaces.
>> - A Java port of the link grammar parser (incomplete, badly designed,
>>  buggy and without approvement of the original authors, *please* use
>>  only for personal study, don't redistribute).
>> - An attempt at a morphological analyzer for german words.
>> Somehow, the simple port of patgen as well as other attempts at
>> simplifying the current FOP hyphenator are missing, I hope I
>> remember to upload them tomorrow.
>
> I see in the tar file two parts: java code and data. Would it be
> useful to indicate which parts of the code belong to each of the above
> items?

Perhaps a classification system such as this for the

project-name/applications/[insert apps here]
project-name/peripherals/[insert peripherals here]
project-name/examples/[insert examples here]
project-name/so-on/[insert so-on here]
project-name/docs/[insert docs here]
project-name/wiki/[insert wiki here]

>>  buggy and without approvement of the original authors, *please* use
>>  only for personal study, don't redistribute).
>
> This would not exclude making it available on a public web page?
>
> Regarding your items to chew on, would you want these to be part of a
> web page for this code?
>
> Regards, Simon
>
> --
> Simon Pepping
> home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Sounds llike something of a non-trivial undertaking... :-) Sounds like
fun!

Web Maestro Clay - <we...@mac.com>
---
- His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Hyphenation foundry

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
Jörg,

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Simon Pepping wrote:
> I think it is time to create a project for the hyphenation files at
> Sourceforge. The project should be a home for all sorts of accessories
> to FOP, or even to FO processors in general. Do you want to
> participate? Do you know a nice name?

Well, sf.net would appeal to a larger body of developers, I think,
and is certainly easier to menage for small projects, but we
can also ask on jakarta-commons, xml-commons and even declare it
a FOP (or XML graphics) subproject.

Anyway, I just uploaded
  http://cvs.apache.org/~pietsch/t.tar.gz
which contains several unfinished stuff I produced the last year:
- Utilities to generate tables for the Unicode line break property
- A class keeping a line break state according to TR14, which should
   be easier to usee than the java.text.BreakIterator for FOP
- A Java port of MySpell
- An attempt at providing a layered hierarchy for spell checking
  and hyphenation interfaces.
- A Java port of the link grammar parser (incomplete, badly designed,
  buggy and without approvement of the original authors, *please* use
  only for personal study, don't redistribute).
- An attempt at a morphological analyzer for german words.
Somehow, the simple port of patgen as well as other attempts at
simplifying the current FOP hyphenator are missing, I hope I
remember to upload them tomorrow.

If someone want some problems to chew on:
- Implementation of an optimized trie or ternary or PATRICIA tree.
  Issues here: The FOP implementation packs both tree construction and
  retrieval into a single class, while the data structure is WORM.
  Furthermore, while it is fast, it could be implemented with much
  less memory, especially peak memory during construction. I ultimately
  concluded compiling the data into Java bytecode would be the best.
  Consider inserting the words WORD and WORM. A PATRICIA tree would
  collapse this to
    root: WOR -> leaf D
              -> leaf M
  In order to map this, the root node gets an operation "match string"
  with the string "WOR" leading to the subtree. Statistical compression
  could optimize the necessary operation, like "switch array", match
  2char string, match 3char string, match n-char string etc. May utilize
  BCEL.
- Institutionalized alphabet transformation. This is somewhat of a
  generalization of the hyphenation character classes. Java uses 16bit
  characters, but in many languages it is rare that more than 256
  characters are actually used in words. TeX/PatGen also map the
  characters onto the numbers 1..N (<256), folding character
  classification into the process. Mapping chars onto bytes saves almost
  half the memory. Because there are languages which requires more than
  256 characters, at least two implementation of the trie/whatever
  holding the patterns are necessary, one where the keys are byte
  sequences, another with char sequences. Too bad generics aren't ready
  yet, but if the data is byte compiled into a Java class, the compiler
  may analyze the patterns and decide whether bytes are sufficient.
  Stuff like Unicode character normalization should probably be folded
  into the classification/alphabet transformation too. It would be too
  bad if hyphenation failed because someone decided to use unnormalized
  characters like FI LIGATURE.
- API design. Need a hierarchy of interfaces which allow polymorphy
  at various levels:
   + Hyphenator
       implementations: pattern hyphenator, dictionary hyphenator,
       composite hyphenator: delegate to a collection of child
       hyphenators
   + Pattern hyphenator - pattern storage
      implementations: HashTable (very easy to understand but slow),
      R/W-trie, optimized WORM class, ...
   + Dictionary hyphenator - dictionary ...
  For reuse in interactive applications, R/W storage may be useful (user
  dictionaries)
- Generalized line breaking strategies. Possible strategies
  + naive, break before the first non-space after a space
  + TR14
  + break before any character
  + pattern, regexp or dictionary pased
- Other ideas: API for processing the Unicode data files. Optimized
  compile for Unicode properties into Java class data: select the
  properties you want, get it. Use this to get the latest Unicode data
  into your Java applications rather than the outdated stuff in the
  JRE.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Hyphenation foundry [was: Re: proposed font project]

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.
Simon Pepping wrote:
> Hi Clay,
>
> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 10:02:37PM -0700, Clay Leeds wrote:
>
>>It would also be good to develop some sort of hyphenation foundry...
>

> I think it is time to create a project for the hyphenation files at
> Sourceforge. The project should be a home for all sorts of accessories
> to FOP, or even to FO processors in general. Do you want to
> participate? Do you know a nice name?

Hy-pe
Hy-Phi

Peter

Hyphenation foundry [was: Re: proposed font project]

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
Hi Clay,

Re: proposed font project

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.