Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2008/06/20 13:43:00 UTC

[OT] What slows you down?

Since it's friday, let me pose a question to the group ...

Even with rock-solid frameworks like Apache Struts, it still seems
like web application development takes longer than it should. Some
frameworks, like Ruby on Rails, speak directly to "time to market"
concerns and have been gathering many followers.

But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
time-consuming? Are there time bandits that still suck days or weeks
out of your development schedule? Are there time gremlins that
"nickel-and-dime" you every hour of every day? Is there anything more
that frameworks like Apache Struts can do to help? Or are just there
intractable problems with web development itself?

Thoughts? :)

-Ted.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
This is an excellent question, Ted, thanks for bringing it up.  At
Atlassian, we've been rolling out a few new internal applications
built on Grails and have been amazed how easy it can be.  They take
production-ready libraries like Hibernate and Spring, then tie
everything together in a seamless way through the Grails layer and a
set of conventions.  In particular, their tags are well-done, which is
a big productivity boon.

One of my main problems with Java development is the fact there are
just so many layers.  To write a simple feature, you have to mess with
all sorts of languages, formats, conventions, and libraries.  I'm
amused at this current "polygot programming" movement, as the Java
community has been writing apps in multiple languages from the
beginning.  Just look at the number of languages and formats a
developer should know to write a Struts app:
 * Java
 * JSP
 * JSTL
 * XML (and its many schemas)
 * HTML
 * Javascript
 * OGNL
 * FreeMarker (to customize tags)
 * Velocity (optional)
 * and then all the libraries and their own little expression
languages and API's

Grails does a good job tying it together and dusting a nice layer of
Groovy on top of it all so yes, you can dig into those layers if you
want, but you don't have to.  I'm not sure how exactly we'd bring that
to Struts, but I certainly see the need for better improving the
developer experience, because after all, that was the original purpose
of the Struts 2 project.

Don

RE: SV: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Nick Scavelli <ni...@hotmail.com>.
Musachy abused the first rule, dont' feed the trolls...  :)

> Subject: SV: [OT] What slows you down?
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:27:10 +0200
> From: Frode.Johansen@ist.com
> To: user@struts.apache.org
>
> As I said:
> I'm not that a great coder, and not an expert php or java coder.
> Coding pure logic in java or php goes at a nice pace.
>
> Once you are in the loop where you got a variable, object, list/map/tree
> of stuffs - and need that converted to something html'ish ... then for
> me php is far easier to do that with. Struts2 is not. And I have max 2y
> on-and-off hobby experience with php.
> Zend isn't silver bullet AS I SAID, but it's definitely easier. Notice
> how random coders jumps on it wagon... how many kids jumps on struts??
> More or less none...
>
> Are we talking about being productive? Make stuff fast? Time to deliver?
> Or are we talking about something else?
>
> Let me Quote:
> " Some frameworks, like Ruby on Rails, speak directly to "time to
> market"
> concerns and have been gathering many followers."
> BECAUSE ITS EASY TO GET STUFF DONE. DON'T NEED TO BE GEEKISH or 3y+
> EXPERIENCE. You even don't need college... sad really.
>
> I just stated that struts2 are not making me productive. Notice how
> often I say it's difficult to find and fix problems related to X.
>
> PHP + notepad++ - no debuggers or ide. No particular tools. But I get
> stuff done... even I'm amazed, cause look at php as a language or zend
> as framework - certainly not pretty.
>
> I just made a huge rant on java and struts not being productive for me.
> If you get exception error because of 3 words - that's your problem.
> Someone asked me what slowed me down - I answered. Maybe my answers is
> just noob errors or whatever, I don't care. I just don't think or feel
> I'm productive. Others here favour JSF... I don't see ppl being
> productive with that either. Sure it got some nice stuff I want to try,
> but that's pretty much it.
>
> Maybe in 5y I'm doing magic and got total different problems, but that's
> then. Not now.
>
> Mvh
> Frode T. Johansen

Introducing Live Search cashback .  It's search that pays you back!
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchcashback

SV: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by "Frode T. Johansen" <Fr...@ist.com>.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I won't comment on all this, because, I am totally biased, and it is
friday after all, but here:

"Look to php zend framework"

that was it for me, lol.

musachy

Ok...I won't talk about the rest because I am obviously biased

Re: SV: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Fri, 6/20/08, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> lol, another one that didn't read the sign ;)

I'm really bad at that game; they get me every time.

Dave

Re: SV: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: SV: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

SV: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by "Frode T. Johansen" <Fr...@ist.com>.
- jsp tags

Struts 2.1.2 DateTimePicker

Posted by Jan Froehlich <Ja...@infomotion.de>.
Hi @all...

Are there any other themes or styles or stylesheets for the Struts 2.1.2
datetimepicker available?
Or do I have to overwrite all css classes to change the appearance?

The "dropdown" is very small so its really hard to pick a date. FYI: It
looks like that in IE7 and Firefox 2.

Regards
Jan

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Giovanni Azua <gi...@imc.nl>.
In the context of Struts 2 and from my personal experience as a Struts
framework (pure java-centric) user that does not do webapps development
for a living I would have very much appreciated:

1-. A rather colorful set of Struts Blank applications where you could
get out of the box:
   a) Several UI themes to choose from with professional look and feel
=> no worries about graphic design etc (this alone takes away all
efforts involving HTML, CSS, Velocity, Freemarker, and maybe some of the
Javascript too)
   b) A selected and consistent setup of plugins and sensitive
dependencies e.g. dojo, tiles or sitemesh, struts menu, displaytag
(afaik many of
       us Struts users seem to use/need it) ...
   c) Couple of system level concerns implemented out of the box e.g.
user management, authentication.
   d) A scalable design e.g. a generic CRUD mapping and best practices
illustrated for implementing c)

2-. Struts 2 full-fledge implementation of the "Pet Store" tackling real
life web application use-cases in addition to the showcase.
3-. Struts 2 IDE support e.g. wizards for generating #1

I have been recently trying to create a #1 for my company branch using
AppFuse as starting point (btw managed to port it to S2.1.2), but it is
a nightmare because here we don't use Spring, Hibernate etc and skinning
out all that out of AppFuse along with their low level access to Servlet
API, overall is becoming a daunting task.

Well, documentation was initially a big issue for me, because of S2
being a relatively new framework. Now there are really good books in the
market specially the "In Action" I can't put it down ... btw I still owe
a review for it in amazon

... just my 2 Cuban pesos :)

regards,
Giovanni

Ted Husted wrote:
> Since it's friday, let me pose a question to the group ...
>
> Even with rock-solid frameworks like Apache Struts, it still seems
> like web application development takes longer than it should. Some
> frameworks, like Ruby on Rails, speak directly to "time to market"
> concerns and have been gathering many followers.
>
> But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
> time-consuming? Are there time bandits that still suck days or weeks
> out of your development schedule? Are there time gremlins that
> "nickel-and-dime" you every hour of every day? Is there anything more
> that frameworks like Apache Struts can do to help? Or are just there
> intractable problems with web development itself?
>
> Thoughts? :)
>
> -Ted.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
That's pretty accurate!  You know, these reoccurring cycles could be
patterned into framework base classes now that Java support generics.  Db4o
works fine in this manner and needs no 2D mappings at all.  In fact, I have
a single class that handles all persistence/search behaviors for all my
actions.  This persistence tier is largely transparent on my sites and I
never really think about it.  My life is centered around modeling the domain
with POJOs (pronounced fun and easy) and of course arm wrestling the darn
pages and tags!

P.S. Pages and tags suck

Scott

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Antonio Petrelli <
antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/6/20 Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:
> > But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
> > time-consuming?
>
> IMHO it's the presence of too many layers of applications. For a
> simple thing like a search result you have to do (for example in
> Struts 1):
> - the JSP page
> - the DAO
> - the service that calls the DAO
> - the domain objects
> - the action that calls the service, and the ActionForm
> - the configuration of the action
> - then go again to JSP pages to link actions together
>
> There are pieces that can be avoided, but the structure almost remains this
> one.
> I think that approaches like NakedObjects [1] and Roma Framework [2]
> could help avoiding this tedious work.
> Anyway there is always some work for adaptation on your particular
> case, many times they seem to be a unique case that cannot be put in
> the general vision of the framework, so you stick on coding it with
> simple frameworks (like Struts 1) or no frameworks at all.
>
> Just my 2 eurocents
> Antonio
>
> [1] http://www.nakedobjects.org/
> [2] http://romaframework.xwiki.com/

Scott
stanlick@gmail.com

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Neil Erdwien <ne...@k-state.edu>.
I'd like to +1 the sentiment that we have too many layers and too many
options for each layer.

I'll resist the temptation to try to list various layers and options --
there are just too many.

What I'd like to add to the discussion is the theory that there is a
natural selection/evolutionary force that causes there creation of lots
of layers and options.

Consider an open source product, say, Struts 1.  To do its job, it had
to perform multiple functions.  I consider it primarily a controller,
but it had view parts, data transfer parts, database pooling, etc.

In abstract terms, it performed functions W, X, Y, and Z.  But it was
*good* at function X -- the others were just needed to fit the pieces
together.

Along comes another developer, who likes Struts 1.  But he thinks
function W could be revamped, so he creates a new product that performs
function W (arguably) better than Struts 1.  Assume it is popular, and
the best practice, what-every-body-does is use Struts with the
replacement W.

Then the same happens to function Z.

Then someone realizes that function W really could be split into
functions R, S, and T.  She creates a replacement that is really good at
function T, but R and S aren't that good.

And the process repeats in a Darwinian pool of evolving goo.

I'm not the best historian, but isn't this is exactly what happened to
Struts 1?  It had tags (that got replaced with JSTL).  It had database
pooling that got replaced with container-managed persistence.  It had
actionforms that got replaced with POJOs.  (Evolution is occasionally
backward!)

This isn't a Struts problem directly.  It is an open-source problem.
Java seems worse because by its structure it encourages developing thin
layers of objects that call objects that call objects.

In conclusion, the bad news is that we're in an evolutionary period.
The good news is that we're in an evolutionary period.

Dave Newton wrote:
> --- On Fri, 6/20/08, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> IMHO it's the presence of too many layers of applications.
>
> +1
>
> The most productive environment I've worked in is Lisp (and Smalltalk, I guess). Config, code, HTML, everything was generated from Lisp. I had usable IDE assistance *everywhere*, including across layers.
>
> I'm now playing games with annotations, even *more* games with code generation (both during build and runtime; codegen has always been one of my guilty pleasures), and ways of doing the development itself (literate programming with cross-language weaving) to reduce the amount of time I have to spend switching paradigms, but it's ultimately still in my face on *some* level, even when I don't have to think about it all the time.
>
> The other big issue? The sheer number of options for essentially every single layer :(
>
>> Just my 2 eurocents
>
> Yanno, with the current exchange rate...
>
> Dave

Neil Erdwien, neil@k-state.edu, 785-532-4905
Acting Associate Director / Web Technologies Manager
Computing and Telecommunications Services, Kansas State University

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by ravi_eze <ra...@ivycomptech.com>.
S2 is awesome by the way it modularises the things.

But to me writing a valid ognl in jsp,validation layer, using value stack
and debugging it is extremely difficult. The only way i do it is re-jaring,
redeploying and restarting the tomcat. Moreover most of the times i do'nt
understand why things are failing?

Tiles is one more thing, i am not clear when i should use getAsString and
when the others. Some times some way works out.

Even today in some expressions scriplets are allowed while in some thing
else they are not allowed (like Map[<%= %>]) doesnt work. I dont see any
exception saying why and what went wrong.

In conversions: for example i can put data into a HashMap<String> but i cant
do it into Dto.someObject.HashMap object... why??? When ever i get such
issus i turn to struts showcase trying to hackit and get my work.. but in
this case it doesnt work.

Writing Freemarker: to be frank i didnt invest good amount of time for it
but AFAIK theres only a freemarker site which can help you.

MOreover it would be nice if we can have an visual IDE using which i will
drag drop things, jsps, actions, interceptors etc (agreed that this doesnt
fall into struts domain.. but its nice to have feature which can
exponentially decrease the dev time :)

Thats my view on this application.

cheers,
ravi

RE: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net>.
Check the archives for the note I wrote on 6/15 with subject "Some
confusion trying to do ajax form submit".  Musachy gave me some very
useful info (read all his responses).

RE: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by "Sarr, Nathan" <ns...@library.rochester.edu>.
Hi David,

RE: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net>.

RE: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by "Sarr, Nathan" <ns...@library.rochester.edu>.
Let me start with I think struts 2 is great

- like some of the others the size of the technology stack and UI seem
to give me the most trouble as well.

    Some things I've had to deal with in struts 2 are:

    1.  The tags - I decided to not use the struts tags as I prefer to
use JSTL and JSP EL as they allow me to style the pages as needed and
there seemed to be some overlap in the functionality - I had to also
write my own JSP tag to get errors out of action errors so I could place
specific messages in any location I needed.  I tried extending the tags
but they gave me some trouble so instead I created tags by extending
SimpleTagSupport which was much easier for me.

    2.  Validation - since I'm using Yahoo User Interface Libraries
(YUI) and my actions are returning JSON or HTML fragments returning
INPUT didn't really work out so I removed validation in favor of doing
it in the ActionSupport class.  I'm not sure if there is much struts can
do about this one.

    3.  I'd have to say I've stayed away from ognl in favor of JSP el.

I'm not sure if the above is due to some of my misunderstanding but
above are some of the things I ran into.

The above is small in comparison to what struts saves me in terms of
time by using Interceptors, populating my classes for me and placing
data on the request.

-Nate

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I would have to say: people. It doesn't matter how good frameworks
are, for "some" reason, "some" people decide to write their own
frameworks, and they do a terrible job at it. I always land on these
companies :). Some examples I have seen in my current and last
company:

1. Custom MVC (makes me want to cry)
2. Custom SMTP library
3. Custom FTP library
4. Custom persistence library
5. Custom ajax framework!!!!

musachy

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Roger Varley <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On Friday 20 June 2008 15:07:17 Al Sutton wrote:
> Web Design :). I can code it in a few days, but getting it to look
> pretty so that users don't complain, thats a b**ch.

That shouldn't be my problem. I'm a developer not a graphic designer. What
would be nice though, would be if it were easier to label and tag everything
in sight in the generated HTML and then we could simply lob the HTML over the
fence to a graphic designer - which is the route proposed by
http://www.csszengarden.com.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.

stanlick@gmail.com wrote:
> I think a web page generator from action/model would be a huge shot in the
> arm.  Of course it would need to be gussied up a bit, but doing these by
> hand is a leach on time.  I recall a product back in the day that would
> generate pages from db tables.
The is a company in Brazil that has a product like this (can't remember
their name now). Met the folks last Oct and helped them see how s2 could
be leveraged as another action framework - they were using JSF and s1.
There is also J2EE Spider that is open source, and also Brazilian in origin.

Although, I have to say, this approach is great for admin or pure
data-to-tables apps, but most customs apps I write are not this
simplistic when it comes to middle and data tiers.
> Perhaps it's now open source and could be
> leveraged?  And then there is the persistence nightmare -- but I have found
> Db4o solves that problem quite nicely.
>
> Scott
>
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com> wrote:
>

>> Web Design :). I can code it in a few days, but getting it to look pretty
>> so that users don't complain, thats a b**ch.
>>
>> Seriously though, one of the things we could do is a something link Suns
>> blueprints or a cookbook of code recepies where we have pages which show and
>> explain the code solutions to common problems.
>>
>> I know there are some bits and bobs around, and there are some sample
>> webapps, but it would be nice to have thinks like the  the
>> S2/Spring2/JPA/Ajax page at
>> http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/struts-2-spring-2-jpa-ajax.html in
>> one place along with some others.
>>
>> Al.
>>

>> Ted Husted wrote:
>>

>>> Since it's friday, let me pose a question to the group ...
>>>
>>> Even with rock-solid frameworks like Apache Struts, it still seems
>>> like web application development takes longer than it should. Some
>>> frameworks, like Ruby on Rails, speak directly to "time to market"
>>> concerns and have been gathering many followers.
>>>
>>> But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
>>> time-consuming? Are there time bandits that still suck days or weeks
>>> out of your development schedule? Are there time gremlins that
>>> "nickel-and-dime" you every hour of every day? Is there anything more
>>> that frameworks like Apache Struts can do to help? Or are just there
>>> intractable problems with web development itself?
>>>
>>> Thoughts? :)
>>>
>>> -Ted.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
I think a web page generator from action/model would be a huge shot in the
arm.  Of course it would need to be gussied up a bit, but doing these by
hand is a leach on time.  I recall a product back in the day that would
generate pages from db tables.  Perhaps it's now open source and could be
leveraged?  And then there is the persistence nightmare -- but I have found
Db4o solves that problem quite nicely.

Scott

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com> wrote:

> Web Design :). I can code it in a few days, but getting it to look pretty
> so that users don't complain, thats a b**ch.
>
> Seriously though, one of the things we could do is a something link Suns
> blueprints or a cookbook of code recepies where we have pages which show and
> explain the code solutions to common problems.
>
> I know there are some bits and bobs around, and there are some sample
> webapps, but it would be nice to have thinks like the  the
> S2/Spring2/JPA/Ajax page at
> http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/struts-2-spring-2-jpa-ajax.html in
> one place along with some others.
>
> Al.
>

> Ted Husted wrote:
>
>> Since it's friday, let me pose a question to the group ...
>>
>> Even with rock-solid frameworks like Apache Struts, it still seems
>> like web application development takes longer than it should. Some
>> frameworks, like Ruby on Rails, speak directly to "time to market"
>> concerns and have been gathering many followers.
>>
>> But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
>> time-consuming? Are there time bandits that still suck days or weeks
>> out of your development schedule? Are there time gremlins that
>> "nickel-and-dime" you every hour of every day? Is there anything more
>> that frameworks like Apache Struts can do to help? Or are just there
>> intractable problems with web development itself?
>>
>> Thoughts? :)
>>
>> -Ted.

Scott
stanlick@gmail.com

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gl...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry, I don't understand your response. Was this about one of my questions
or of list of "slows"?

Re: Validation

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Sun, 6/22/08, Doug Pham <do...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an action that have multiple methods that I mapped
> to.  Only one action that I need validation for, the rest
> I don't need.  Where can I get information to set this
> up or how do I set it up using the XML file?

http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/validation.html

DAve

Validation

Posted by Doug Pham <do...@yahoo.com>.
I have an action that have multiple methods that I mapped to.  Only one action that I need validation for, the rest I don't need.  Where can I get information to set this up or how do I set it up using the XML file?

Thanks,
Doug

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Sun, 6/22/08, Martin <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> RhinoScript only works with JS files (not ftl or jsp)

RhinoScript?

I must have gotten a truncated version of Greg's post; I didn't see anything about JavaScript at all.

Dave

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gl...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

** Struts 2 in Action is a really good book, highly recommend it. However, I

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Jim Kiley <jh...@summa-tech.com>.
Part of what's going on for me is that Struts 2 provides me with such a
large improvement in productivity over the last two Java web frameworks that
I used (Struts 1 and JSF) I haven't yet gotten over my pleasure with the
framework.  I haven't gotten ticked off at it yet, because even when
something isn't working the way I expected, and I'm mildly annoyed, there's
an almost audible pounding inside my head: STILL BETTER THAN JSF.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:43 AM, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Since it's friday, let me pose a question to the group ...
>
> Even with rock-solid frameworks like Apache Struts, it still seems
> like web application development takes longer than it should. Some
> frameworks, like Ruby on Rails, speak directly to "time to market"
> concerns and have been gathering many followers.
>
> But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
> time-consuming? Are there time bandits that still suck days or weeks
> out of your development schedule? Are there time gremlins that
> "nickel-and-dime" you every hour of every day? Is there anything more
> that frameworks like Apache Struts can do to help? Or are just there
> intractable problems with web development itself?
>
> Thoughts? :)
>
> -Ted.

Jim Kiley
Technical Consultant | Summa
[p] 412.258.3346 [m] 412.445.1729
http://www.summa-tech.com

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
Actually, I applaud you.  If you need to debug jsp pages, you have bigger
problems!

--
Scott
stanlick@gmail.com

RE: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Giovanni Azua <br...@swissonline.ch>.

lol! the same here, more than two years using MyEclipse and did never
realized I could debug JSP, indeed a very good thing that we haven't had any
strong need for it when using (correctly) Struts 2 :)

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
> Gah, I have been using MyEclipse for two years and never
> noticed the JSP debugger.  How embarrassing.

*lol*

I almost never use JSP debuggers, but on occasion they're *really* handy :)

Dave

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Jim Kiley <jh...@summa-tech.com>.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Jim Kiley <jh...@summa-tech.com>.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
And don't forget <s:debug /> and the debug interceptor (that I believe
dumps to log file/xml) :-)

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Jim Kiley <jh...@summa-tech.com>.
With Struts 2 I've got testability right down the spine of the application.
There's very little Java I can write that I can't test.  And testing really
does speed up your application development cycle, as I'm sure the pros here
know.

The stuff I can't test is what slows me down: JSP, and the gap between my
JSP and my Struts actions.  There are times where I've screwed up the wiring
between them, and can't for the life of me figure out why.  I don't have a
JSP debugger, and JSPs don't generate log statements (wow, wouldn't it be
awesome if they could?).  So tracking that down is time-consuming for me.

CSS doesn't slow me down nearly as much as it used to thanks to Firebug.

Honestly, otherwise, right now I'm working on converting an old ColdFusion
app to Struts 2 and the most time-consuming part is figuring out what the

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
Am Freitag, 20. Juni 2008 13:43:00 schrieb Ted Husted:
> But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
> time-consuming? Are there time bandits that still suck days or weeks
> out of your development schedule? Are there time gremlins that
> "nickel-and-dime" you every hour of every day? Is there anything more
> that frameworks like Apache Struts can do to help? Or are just there
> intractable problems with web development itself?

I had to work on a RCP application the last months - and I can't tell you how
happy I am to be back at the web and struts2. So in my oppinion there is no
real problem with web development... Struts2 is great, and it helps a lot in
being productive. The flexibility is unmatched, the possibilities endless.

The only problem I see is that it is not as easy to learn the framework as it
should be. That starts with the documentation, the many plugins which all do
the same things and the fact that there is no defined way of doing standard
jobs. Once you managed to select what you need, the world is ok. And you
learn to love the flexibility. But to get there is hard work.

What would really help is a good freemarker plugin for my favorite IDE - not
exactly freemarker but freemarker on top of html. Think that's my biggest
time killer atm.

	Piero

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/6/22 Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>:
> Internet Explorer

Ok let's start a flame war: Windows, Websphere, RAD :-D

Antonio

Re: [OT] What slows you down?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Sat, 6/21/08, Jeromy Evans wrote:
> Internet Explorer

+1

What a pile.

Dave