Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Higginbotham <jh...@betweenmarkets.com> on 2002/11/04 20:22:36 UTC

RE: [OT] OJB/Struts and Jetspeed

Jetspeed is dead - check some list archives. They *may* redo something
to use the new portlet API, but I haven't seen much activity from them.
There may be some folks out there still working on it, but in reality,
some new codebase should probably take its place (or some new
maintainers should step up for Jetspeed, if the customer base is still
large enough).

In fact, they were trying to pawn off their portlet reference API off to
a friend of mine as well. Too bad, since we need something like a
PHPNuke equiv in Java. I'd be interested in a similar project if one
exists.. Anyone know of any good portal framework that uses Struts, OJB,
and other proven frameworks?

HTH,
James

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
You should probably check out the BasicPortal project at
<http://basicportal.sourceforge.net/>; it's based on Struts and
organized by some pretty active members of the struts-user community.
It doesn't use OJB as far as I know.

As for Jetspeed being dead...  I'm not even a Jetspeed user, let
alone a developer, but the dev mailing list monthly volume is higher
than that of Lucene or even Log4J...  However, from my exploring,
I've gotten a mixed impression about the strength of the project
community.  I'm curious which list archives have diagnosed its death?

It looks like this topic came up and petered out in December 2001 and
January 2002; perhaps you should look at the Jetspeed mailing list
archives or post to the list and survey the interest of the current
developer community.  They could probably tell you better than I can
whether they think Jetspeed is dead too!

Jetspeed is one of the references for the official Portal JSR (#168,
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168), that page indicates: "The RI
will be managed by IBM as an open source project at Apache and will
be made available under terms similar to that used for Apache
Tomcat." but there's no knowing if that means extending Jetspeed or
starting from scratch.  JSR #168 is behind its original schedule, but
the public draft is currently scheduled for a December release.

Joe

At 1:22 PM -0600 2002/11/04, James Higginbotham wrote:
>Jetspeed is dead - check some list archives. They *may* redo something
>to use the new portlet API, but I haven't seen much activity from them.
>There may be some folks out there still working on it, but in reality,
>some new codebase should probably take its place (or some new
>maintainers should step up for Jetspeed, if the customer base is still
>large enough).
>
>In fact, they were trying to pawn off their portlet reference API off to
>a friend of mine as well. Too bad, since we need something like a
>PHPNuke equiv in Java. I'd be interested in a similar project if one
>exists.. Anyone know of any good portal framework that uses Struts, OJB,
>and other proven frameworks?
>
>HTH,
>James

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956