Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2013/02/03 12:44:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Packaging password/ssh reset scripts

Hi folks:

One of the discussions that came up while we were in Ghent was whether
or not to package the SSH key reset and password reset utilities, or
whether we should focus our PW/SSH efforts on cloud-init.

The points for consideration are essentially:

* If we begin packaging them, they will be expected to be maintained
over the long term - are we as a project ready to do that?
* Do we keep the scripts in the repo, or perhaps consider adding a
separate repo for the scripts themselves. (This would make it easier
for distribution packagers to consume - and even if they don't wish to
package all of CloudStack - packaging the scripts themselves would be
substantially easier.
* cloud-init has CloudStack support IIRC, does it make sense to adopt
that rather than doing our own thing, or perhaps to elect one as the
primary method.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Packaging password/ssh reset scripts

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 02/04/2013 08:47 PM, Chiradeep Vittal wrote:
> I like cloud-init as well, but it sounds to me that we are hurting the
> investment of existing CloudStack users who have built hundreds of
> templates with the extant scripts.

We should ofcourse not break existing setups, their scripts should keep
working.

But, if we start packaging these scripts in DEB/RPM packages new comers
will start to use them as well while cloud-init is probably much better
to use when you have a fresh start.

Wido

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 11:10:22AM -0800, Kelven Yang wrote:
> The password-reset client script and Windows password-reset service use
> customized protocol to talk to the password provider, replacement of the
> facility will need these client-side tools to cooperate with, is there any
> details on these tools we are talking about so that we can evaluate the
> impact and feasible solutions?
>
> -Kelven

cloud-init is pretty well documented, and may not replace the existing
password reset functionality (at least IIRC).  It does, however, do ssh
keys.

We still have Windows to deal with...  wouldn't it be great if there was
an equiv to cloud-init?  Anyone know of one?

Also, I'm in agreement that the existing scripts would need to remain as
a supported option for quite some time.  I consider things like that to
actually be related to our semver version numbering, although it's not
specifically our CS query API, it's a similar interface expectation.

-chip

Re: [DISCUSS] Packaging password/ssh reset scripts

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 02/05/2013 08:10 PM, Kelven Yang wrote:

> On 2/5/13 11:02 AM, "Wido den Hollander" <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:

>>> Generally agree that if possible we should adopt third-party solution in
>>> stead of to do everything ourselves. One thing to add is that does the
>>> solution comes with support to Windows VM? We had a special package that
>>> is for windows VM on password-reset.
>>>

>> Well, I guess that works the same way as the current scripts do? So we
>> should not break that.
>

> The password-reset client script and Windows password-reset service use
> customized protocol to talk to the password provider, replacement of the
> facility will need these client-side tools to cooperate with, is there any
> details on these tools we are talking about so that we can evaluate the
> impact and feasible solutions?

What I meant is that the current scripts (both Linux AND Windows) should
keep working.

While they work we should provide methods to get cloud-init working and
actually promote that.

We should NOT break existing setups, but also not encourage users to
start using these scripts on new systems.

Wido

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.