Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/03 13:21:28 UTC

Thoughts towards an initial release

Hi all,

I have been thinking about releases and version numbers in Sling and
wrote up an initial text on that at [1].

The page is currently missing the actual list of bundles, we would want
to include in the initial release. This is something, which still has to
be defined.

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/SLING/thoughts-on-release-management.html

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 06.01.2008, 20:46 +0200 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> Hi,
>
> On Jan 6, 2008 8:26 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Version comparison is in terms of comparing each version part to each
> > other. The numeric parts are compared as would be expected. The
> > qualifier part is compared with string comparsion, where of course "" is
> > smaller than "SNAPSHOT".
>
> How about replacing "SNAPSHOT" with something like "STABLE" whenever
> releasing a component? That way we'd only need to play tricks with the
> qualifier part and avoid messing with release numbering.

This could of course also be a solution. But it also looks uncommon.
Also, I would like to reserve the qualifier for real release
qualification (maybe a build number ???) in the future.

Regards
Felix

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Jan 6, 2008 8:26 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Version comparison is in terms of comparing each version part to each
> other. The numeric parts are compared as would be expected. The
> qualifier part is compared with string comparsion, where of course "" is
> smaller than "SNAPSHOT".

How about replacing "SNAPSHOT" with something like "STABLE" whenever
releasing a component? That way we'd only need to play tricks with the
qualifier part and avoid messing with release numbering.

Just an idea, I'm not opposed to Felix' proposal.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by pi...@wasabicowboy.com.
Makes sense, +1 for me on the scheme.

Paddy
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Posted by Padraic Hannon <pi...@wasabicowboy.com>.
Sorry I missed the creation of SLING-149. I'll start taking a look at
that.

-paddy

Moving MicroSling to Sling

Posted by Padraic Hannon <pi...@wasabicowboy.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Jan 6, 2008 11:57 PM, Robert Biernat
<Ro...@objectconsulting.com.au> wrote:

> ...As someone who has only been following this project for a short amount of time I think before a
> release is done a better sample application needs to be produced along with some documentation
> that explains how web development with Sling differs to traditional web development....

Agreed, and hopefully porting the µsling stuff to Sling, as was
decided late last year, will help in providing an easy to use "getting
started" app and examples. I intend to start working on this Real Soon
Now.

Apart from that, I agree with
http://cwiki.apache.org/SLING/thoughts-on-release-management.html

-Bertrand

[1] http://markmail.org/message/atbjzjjp2wflkotb

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
"Robert Biernat" <Ro...@objectconsulting.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> As someone who has only been following this project for a short
> amount of time I think before a release is done a better sample
> application needs to be produced along with some documentation that
> explains how web development with Sling differs to traditional web
> development.

Also, with my 'mentor' hat on, this sort of documentation is critical
for developing a larger user/developer community.  Whether before the
release or after, it should be on the roadmap.

Otherwise, things look good.

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁          cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Yes, the initial release breaks the rules in two aspects: The SNAPSHOT
> is even and it will encompass almost everything :-)
>
> Of course we could turn back the current release numbers to
> 1.9.9-incubtator-SNAPSHOT and then comply with the concept... But I am
> not sure, whether it is worth the effort.
I was not brave enough to suggest this :)
(No, it's not worth it)

> I can think, that we could well live with this minor inconsistency.
Yes, sure.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

Am Montag, den 07.01.2008, 09:57 +1100 schrieb Robert Biernat:
> As someone who has only been following this project for a short amount of time I think before a release is done a better sample application needs to be produced along with some documentation that explains how web development with Sling differs to traditional web development.

I completely agree, that we have to extend our sample application and
turn it into some more usefull thing. And also we desperately need to
extend and enhance our documentation, part of which is really outdated
after some rounds of refactorings.

And we are working on these issues :-) But as always in the Apache
world, resources are limited and everyone is invited to contribute !

Nevertheless, I would like to not block any releases for lack of
serious, enterprise level documentation. OTOH, we are not actually just
before a release, but I would like to start the thinking for the first
release to come in the near future.

Regards
Felix

RE: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by Robert Biernat <Ro...@objectconsulting.com.au>.
Hi,

As someone who has only been following this project for a short amount of time I think before a release is done a better sample application needs to be produced along with some documentation that explains how web development with Sling differs to traditional web development.

Rob

________________________________

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Padraic Hannon <ph...@edmunds.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexander,

Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 15:20 +0100 schrieb Alexander Saar:
> > On short term, we might well create assemblies for them. Good proposals
> > for creation of such assemblies are welcome, of course :-)
> >

> What do you mean with creation? If you refer to identification of
> bundles that can be deployed together I think this should be done with
> some integration tests (or test suite) which can be tested against
> different combinations of bundle versions.

Ehrm, didn't find the correct word ... Yes the task is identifying which
bundles should be combined to what assemblies (or deployment packages in
the future). This IMHO has nothing to do with integration testing and
test suites, its just a definition of which bundles belong together - if
at all possible.

Regards
Felix

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by Alexander Saar <al...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Felix Meschberger schrieb:
>> I think the versioning scheme is OK, as it supports the needed requirements.
>>
>> I very much like the idea of just releasing single bundles, as it allows
>> faster bug fixing and improvement/enhancement of funtionality. But from
>> a user perspective it should be ensured that there are regular releases
>> of webapp and standalone app. On the one hand this allows releasing of a
>> set of bundles wich are ensured to work together. On the other hand it
>> prevents users that start with sling in one or two years from starting
>> with an old sling version and installing all new bundles again.
>>

> Agreed. This is why it says: "For convenience we may create standalone
> and web application releases once or twice a year. These applications
> though would just be packagings of already released bundles." :-)

I've seen it. Just wanted to point out that this is important for users
of sling :-)
>> BTW, is there a way to define a set of bundles which certainly work
>> together. Can this be done with the assembly feature? If so we could
>> just release assemblies containing newest sling bundles once or twice a
>> year.
>>

> Basically yes, but: The OSGi Compendium 1.4 has a Deployment Admin
> Specification which defines a deployment package file format and and
> respective administrative API. In the Apache Felix project we are
> currently waiting for the paper work to be finished for a contribution
> of an implementation of that specification. As soon as that one is in
> Apache Felix, we might well provide Deployment Packages of Sling
> Bundles.

Sounds great! Relying on standards for deployment is the best way for
future compatibility with other OSGi implementations or if someone would
like to combine sling with other code that can be deployed as bundles.
> On short term, we might well create assemblies for them. Good proposals
> for creation of such assemblies are welcome, of course :-)

What do you mean with creation? If you refer to identification of
bundles that can be deployed together I think this should be done with
some integration tests (or test suite) which can be tested against
different combinations of bundle versions.

Regards,
Alex

Re: Thoughts towards an initial release

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexander Saar <al...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 13:34 +0100 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
>> I like the versioning scheme.
>>
>> I have one question regarding branches, you write:
>>
>> "For branching, the branch always gets an incremented micro version
>> number. For example when branching off _2.1.1-SNAPSHOT_ the branch
>> version would be _2.2.1-SNAPSHOT_."
>>
>> The text says increasing the micro version while the minor version is
>> increased in the sample. Which one do you mean?
>
> Oops. This is an error, I meant to say "an incremented minor version
> number". The example is correct. I'll fix it in the text. Thanks.

Ah, ok :)

Now, I think we should just leave branching out for the moment as we
might not need it. We should avoid branches whenever possible. And if we
need it, I can imagine that we decide on a per case basis what the
versions of the branch and trunk will be.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org