Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2022/03/28 08:57:05 UTC

Re: Release notes draft for Apache Solr 9.0

Thanks Anshum,

I'm moving this mail thread from the Lucene dev-list to the Solr dev-list :)

I think, as this is a major release, we should say explicitly in the release-notes something like:
"This is a major-version release with several features removed and other major, breaking changes. Please consult the Release Guide chapter "Solr Upgrade Notes" (link) when planning an upgrade".

I'll add some other comments inline in Confluence..

Jan

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
I added a line about lucene:

	• Powered by Lucene 9.0, bringing in new analyzers and better space efficiency of postings

Please have a look at Lucene 9 changes <https://lucene.apache.org/core/9_0_0/changes/Changes.html> to see if any other are worth a mention. I think we should have more than one bullet from lucene-9.

The ones I have found that directly affect Solr are:

* Removal of SimpleFSDirectoryFactory which was done in:
   LUCENE-9264: SimpleFSDirectory has been removed in favor of NIOFSDirectory. (Yannick Welsch)
   I believe this was committed in master branch before the split, and did not get a SOLR changes entry
* New snowball stemmers: Hindi, Indonesian, Nepali, Serbian, Tamil and Yiddish. New stoplist: Indonesian (LUCENE-9220, LUCENE-9605)
* Add NorwegianNormalizationFilter (LUCENE-9929)

PS: We should probably also consider adding new schema <fieldType name="text_XX"> for the new languages? That can wait until 9.1 though...

Jan

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
Some nice improvements in the temporal graph queries:

https://github.com/apache/solr/blob/main/solr/solr-ref-guide/modules/query-guide/pages/graph.adoc#temporal-graph-expressions

Particularly useful for people building event correlation and SIEM products.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Oops, the auto-complete got me to send this to the Lucene dev list instead
of the Solr one. Thanks for taking care of that, Jan.

+1 on the KNN and other Lucene features that Solr 9.0 brings to the users.
This list was curated more along the lines of 'operational features' so I'm
going through the changelog to add everything else that isn't already there.

-Anshum

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 12:53 PM Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe release notes could mention a few benefits that Solr gets
> automatically from Lucene 9 like the new analyzers and better space
> efficiency of postings thanks to PFOR?
>
> I also concur with Jason, I was expecting vector search to make the
> top line of the release notes?
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:57 AM Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Anshum,
> >
> > I'm moving this mail thread from the Lucene dev-list to the Solr
> dev-list :)
> >
> > I think, as this is a major release, we should say explicitly in the
> release-notes something like:
> > "This is a major-version release with several features removed and other
> major, breaking changes. Please consult the Release Guide chapter "Solr
> Upgrade Notes" (link) when planning an upgrade".
> >
> > I'll add some other comments inline in Confluence..
> >
> > Jan
> >
> > 28. mar. 2022 kl. 04:15 skrev Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Please find the initial draft of the release notes for Solr 9.0 here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/jL-kCw
> >
> > Please let me know if you need me to update/add something, or feel free
> to do so yourself.
> >
> > --
> > Anshum Gupta
> >

> --
> Adrien

Anshum Gupta

Re: Release notes draft for Apache Solr 9.0

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Oops, the auto-complete got me to send this to the Lucene dev list instead
of the Solr one. Thanks for taking care of that, Jan.

+1 on the KNN and other Lucene features that Solr 9.0 brings to the users.
This list was curated more along the lines of 'operational features' so I'm
going through the changelog to add everything else that isn't already there.

-Anshum

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 12:53 PM Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe release notes could mention a few benefits that Solr gets
> automatically from Lucene 9 like the new analyzers and better space
> efficiency of postings thanks to PFOR?
>
> I also concur with Jason, I was expecting vector search to make the
> top line of the release notes?
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:57 AM Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Anshum,
> >
> > I'm moving this mail thread from the Lucene dev-list to the Solr
> dev-list :)
> >
> > I think, as this is a major release, we should say explicitly in the
> release-notes something like:
> > "This is a major-version release with several features removed and other
> major, breaking changes. Please consult the Release Guide chapter "Solr
> Upgrade Notes" (link) when planning an upgrade".
> >
> > I'll add some other comments inline in Confluence..
> >
> > Jan
> >
> > 28. mar. 2022 kl. 04:15 skrev Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Please find the initial draft of the release notes for Solr 9.0 here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/jL-kCw
> >
> > Please let me know if you need me to update/add something, or feel free
> to do so yourself.
> >
> > --
> > Anshum Gupta
> >

> --
> Adrien

Anshum Gupta

Re: Release notes draft for Apache Solr 9.0

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

--
Adrien

Re: Release notes draft for Apache Solr 9.0

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

--
Adrien

Re: Release notes draft for Apache Solr 9.0

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <a....@sease.io>.
I went through all the wiki page and it is a *+1 from me*!
Thanks, Jan, Anshum, and everyone involved in the writing!

Cheers

--------------------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Apache Lucene/Solr PMC member and Committer
Director, R&D Software Engineer, Search Consultant

www.sease.io

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

But someone should QA it - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=199540620 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=199540620>

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
Is it worth mentioning something about the KNN/vector search work that
(according to SOLR-15880 at least) made it in for 9.0?

If skipping that was unintentional, I can add a bullet-point for it.
(Though I'd also happily defer if someone who knows the functionality
better is willing.)

Best,

Jason