Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2002/02/01 00:31:27 UTC

RE: TC 3.3.3 with Apache stack space error

Hi Ray

>After some testing, I have made some observations that might be worth
>something, or maybe not...
>
>I installed Redhat 7.2 w/tomcat3.3a-2.  I used all RPMS to do this
>(including the tomcat-mod-3.3-1 rpm.)  I got the stack space
>error.  So,
>I installed a redhat 7.1, same exact tomcat RPM's, and it worked fine..
>So, I applied all the update RPM's from the redhat errata, and
>the stack
>space error came back.  The RPM's included kernel 2.4.9-21 and
>glibc-2.2.4-19.3 (and of course a bunch more that probably
>don't matter)

Did you got the problem in Apache with mod_jk or just tomcat 3.3
stand alone ?

>I am still using the IBM 1.3 JDK.
>
>It appears that if I don't update reddhat 7.1's glibc RPM's, everything
>should be fine.
>
>I think I might have seen something else on the list about glibc, so
>apologies if this is all just redundant..

All the RPMs are today built under Redhat 6.2.

I feel that we may have a glibc 2.2 problem.
Could you try to rebuild tomcat-mod source RPM ?

RE: TC 3.3.3 with Apache stack space error

Posted by Tomas Rokicki <ro...@instantis.com>.
Be aware that glibc sometimes puts some heap allocations in
shared library space rather than heap space using mmap,
especially if you have large ones (as a 400M starting heap
would seem to indicate).  See if you can determine if this
is happening; top will show the library allocations as LIB.
Maybe there is something wrong here.

Also, when glibc uses LIB and when it uses DATA is
configurable by some strange environment variables
The variables are something like M_MMAP_THRESHOLD and
M_MMAP_MAX.

-tom