Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Elias Skogqvist <el...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/01 21:37:30 UTC

Panic! Accidentally saved over a document

Hi!

I was using another document as a template and was gonna press "save as" to
save the new document alone. But I accidentally pressed save and now the
first document is gone! Im close to crying right now

How can I get the first document back????

Please help!

Re: Panic! Accidentally saved over a document

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 2 Dec 2017, at 8:37 am, Elias Skogqvist <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I was using another document as a template and was gonna press "save as" to
> save the new document alone. But I accidentally pressed save and now the
> first document is gone! Im close to crying right now
>
> How can I get the first document back????

If you have set a backup in the options there could be one in the backup directory.
If you’re unsure where the backup directory is check Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Paths

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
James Knott wrote:
> On 12/02/2017 04:25 PM, John Hart wrote:
>> On 12/1/2017 2:37 PM, Elias Skogqvist wrote:
>>> I was using another document as a template and was gonna press "save
>>> as" to
>>> save the new document alone. But I accidentally pressed save and now the
>>> first document is gone! Im close to crying right now ...
>> It's best when using any file as a template to save it with the new
>> name before making any changes.
> Or make it read only.  However, there is something called "Templates" in
> OO.  If you save templates there, you don't have to worry about overwriting.

Or simply call it "filename.ott" instead of "filename.odt". OpenOffice
will disable "Save" and only allow "Save As" in that case.

Elias: if you missed earlier replies, you can find them archived here:

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?users@openoffice.apache.org

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Panic! Accidentally saved over a document

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 12/02/2017 04:25 PM, John Hart wrote:
> On 12/1/2017 2:37 PM, Elias Skogqvist wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was using another document as a template and was gonna press "save
>> as" to
>> save the new document alone. But I accidentally pressed save and now the
>> first document is gone! Im close to crying right now
>>
>> How can I get the first document back????
>>
>> Please help!
> The original probably exists on the hard drive, but it's more
> difficult to retrieve than
> a file that was deleted. A file retrieval program such as Photorec
> might be able to do it,
> but don't save files on the computer until it's recovered or it could
> be overwritten.
> It's best when using any file as a template to save it with the new
> name before making
> any changes.

Or make it read only.  However, there is something called "Templates" in
OO.  If you save templates there, you don't have to worry about overwriting.

As for recovering the original, it may still be on the disk, but marked
as deleted.  There are disk utilities that can find deleted files that
have not actually been overwritten.  Avoid writing anything to that
disk, until a recovery has been attempted.

Re: Panic! Accidentally saved over a document

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
On 12/1/2017 2:37 PM, Elias Skogqvist wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was using another document as a template and was gonna press "save as" to
> save the new document alone. But I accidentally pressed save and now the
> first document is gone! Im close to crying right now
>
> How can I get the first document back????
>
> Please help!
The original probably exists on the hard drive, but it's more difficult
to retrieve than
a file that was deleted. A file retrieval program such as Photorec might
be able to do it,
but don't save files on the computer until it's recovered or it could be
overwritten.
It's best when using any file as a template to save it with the new name
before making
any changes.

jrh