Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/10 01:58:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Code donations: Sheldon and Chatterbox

Hi All,

I’d like to open the topic of potentially donating a couple components we’ve built over at tomitribe.io to our beloved TomEE project:

 - https://tomitribe.io/projects/sheldon <https://tomitribe.io/projects/sheldon>
 - https://tomitribe.io/projects/chatterbox <https://tomitribe.io/projects/chatterbox>

There are couple motivating factors:

 - show the TomEE ecosystem is a bit bigger than just the server
 - provide a clear pattern for “crazy new ideas” to start here that could potentially benefit TomEE or other EE related-projects
 - more opportunities to earn commit
 - give the community a boost

We went from EJB container to EE server.  I’d be great to take another step and see us go to EE ecosystem.

Thoughts?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: [DISCUSS] Code donations: Sheldon and Chatterbox

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Aug 10, 2017, at 10:38 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Interesting reasoning. What about tackling new specs - like mvc - which
> dont have yet a home at asf and would more inline with tomee and require
> more activity than "done" projects?

I’d be open to that.

Side note, there’s really still a ton of work to be done on Sheldon.

-David

Re: [DISCUSS] Code donations: Sheldon and Chatterbox

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Le 10 août 2017 22:44, "David Blevins" <da...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 1:12 AM, Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>
wrote:

> Does it mean we'll rename TomEE as a TLP to something else so TomEE can be
> a subproject and we will be creating more sub-projects for Sheldon or any
> other project?

I’d definitely want to keep TomEE as the TLP name.  My primary goal is to
grow TomEE the brand and community and TLP with things that might directly
or indirectly help TomEE the server.

At Apache it’s very common for TLPs to have subprojects and not be
renamed.  We can keep the TLP name as-is and foster crazy new ideas.  If
any of them becomes a massive effort in its own right, we spin it out.  APR
was originally an HTTPd subproject.  Ant was originally a Tomcat subproject.

Most subprojects don’t become that big.

We’ve actually had a couple subprojects, like the EJB 2.x to 3x Conversion
Eclipse Plugin Jonathan wrote.  Interestingly, it wasn’t actually working
on OpenEJB itself that got Jon commit, but this “crazy idea” subproject.
I’m not actually sure he had even one commit on OpenEJB trunk when we voted
him in.

Vishwa got voted in working on the build tools and twitter bot.  Smaller
projects seem to be a lot easier for people to digest.  In Jon’s case, the
subproject work encouraged him to dig into OpenEJB and the rest is history.

> I have seen a lot of discussions in different Apache projects regarding a
> common place for Java EE components (spec jars and common libraries). I
> know TomEE has been mentioned a couple of times, as well as other Apache
> projects.
> Is this a related discussion?
> Or should it be tackled at the same time?

I’d certainly welcome crazy new EE-related ideas and common libraries that
wanted to start here.  So in that sense, very related.

We’d want them to be in some way beneficial to the TomEE server ecosystem,
directly or indirectly.  They do not need to be TomEE-only components and
can definitely be reusable and have fun unique names.

In terms of at the same time, for me that’s a “no".  There’ve been
discussions in Geronimo specifically on what to do with that project.
Those discussions have been going on for 2 years.  We are not in a position
to tackle that here.  I certainly wouldn’t want us to hold our breath,
because I don’t think anything there will resolve soon and don’t want to
see is in the position of not moving forward because we are waiting on
another community.  I’d welcome the code and committers if they wanted to
come over.

We know we need to inject some blood into our community, so that’s the
primary goal.  If it happens to kill two birds with one stone, cool.  If
not, that’s also fine.

In terms of things we can do to make this community more vibrant, making it
easier for crazy new ideas to start here is a great step forward.  I think
we need a couple crazy new ideas to seed that, hence the idea to donate
Sheldon and Chatterbox.

-David

Re: [DISCUSS] Code donations: Sheldon and Chatterbox

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Hi Matthew!

Many of us had a very similar experience. TomEE rocks!

The Geronimo App Server kind of belongs to the 'big iron' class. And as such it was really hard to run.
That's one of the reasons why the Geronimo App Server is dead. We are really on the fence of retiring the G server part.

The Geronimo project otoh maintains a lot of extremely useful components apart of the G server!
Most of this stuff is _also_ used by TomEE: the TransactionManager, javamail, xbean, etc
Even the TomEE specs jar is just a shade of a bunch of geronimo-spec jars merged together.
And a hell lot of other projects use those parts as well!
For example: the Geronimo TxManager is used by TomEE, OpenWebBeans, CXF, OpenJPA, etc.

As I said: I don't care whether those reusable modules are maintained over at the Geronimo project or here at TomEE.
But it must be really clear that those components are totally independent of any concrete server.
Otherwise we would have the same weird situation as we had with Geronimo back then when the server was well alive.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by chongma <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Let's sum this up.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
A few thoughts as mentioned over at the Geronimo list:

Reusable components make sense they are clearly distinctable. The part which contains that reusable components imo must get a different brand name than TomEE. Otherwise you get the same problem as with Geronimo: people will think these parts ONLY work with TomEE and that they are not usable separately.

I don't care if those components are 'managed' by the TomEE PMC, the Geroiniom PMC or a new "ASF EE commons". All I want is to have a vibrant community. And we have that already. It's just not happening that much on the TomEE list.

The point is: if some outsiders say that TomEE is not really active then that's plain wrong. And of course it's our fault!
There is TONS of activity in Johnzon, OpenWebBeans, etc. And this is all done by people who are (most times) also TomEE committers. And it's also done in favour of TomEE.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Same thought, for asf it sounds like a G subproject and not sure tomee fits
but not strongly against neither.

Side note: we had a ssh module already which never got attraction - not a
need i guess - so not sure it would get better welcoming this time.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
<incubator hat>

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I think this is a wonderful idea. Those two projects show some of the
possibilities of connectors, which is often a bit of an unknown. I think
having those projects as TomEE sub-projects would be great. They are
documented on tomitribe.io so we should think about how we'd want to bring
those over and structure the website for those sub-projects.

The thing that excites me most, though, is the pattern for "crazy new
ideas" as you put it. Having some space and a pattern to contribute those
new ideas sounds like a great way to get more people involved. I have
created some small helper modules that make it a little easier to use
different JMS providers - I have HornetQ and Artemis so far, and could
easily crank out a couple more having worked with JBossMQ, Tibco EMS and
Websphere MQ recently. I know that Daniel Cuhna created a CLI tool at one
point - I'm not sure where that is, but having a welcoming place for
initiatives like that means we can pull those folks into the TomEE
community.

+1 from me. Happy to help in any way I can.

Jon

Posted by Elder Moraes <el...@gmail.com>.
You guys really rock!!

Elder

Twitter: @elderjava <https://twitter.com/elderjava>
Blog: http://eldermoraes.com

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elder Moraes <el...@gmail.com>.
Don't know if I'm allowed to answer... and my apologies if I wasn't... :-)

But from the point of view of the community, I think it would be awesome.
TomEE has been my default EE server for a long time and it would be great
to see it even more powerful.

Didn't know these projects, but just had a look at them and love it!

Cheers,

Elder <https://twitter.com/elderjava>