Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Yu, Libo " <li...@citi.com> on 2013/04/24 19:36:42 UTC

acknowledged mode for performance test

Hi,

I am running kafka-producer-perf-test.sh for performance test.
I notice this line from the log:
INFO Property request.required.acks is overridden to -1

So what does -1 mean in this case? Is acknowledgement enabled?

In producer.properties, I set request.required.acks to 1 and started
the job. I still saw:
INFO Property request.required.acks is overridden to -1
Then I I set request.required.acks to 0 and started the job. I got the
same log:
INFO Property request.required.acks is overridden to -1

Is it possible to turn on acknowledgement for this producer
Performance test?
BTW: For our application, we cannot afford losing any message and we
are only interested in acknowledged mode.

Regards,

Libo

Re: acknowledged mode for performance test

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
request.required.acks=-1 in fact is the strongest durability guarantee on
the producer. It means the producer waits for all replicas to write the
data before receiving an ack.

Thanks,
Neha

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
It typically means wait until all replicas have received the message. For
details, see
http://www.slideshare.net/junrao/kafka-replication-apachecon2013 (-1 ==
wait until message is committed).

Thanks,