Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2008/06/26 20:01:44 UTC

Reliability of the podling reports schedule and list of incubator projects

Hi,

With my (shiny new ;-) board hat on, I'm following up on a a concern
expressed at yesterday's board meeting.

It seems like the schedule of incubator podling reports to the board,
as well as the list of incubating projects at [2] is not very reliable
- probably due to the well-known "redundant and scattered metadata"
problem.

For example, it seems like Pig had never reported before, although
it's been incubating for a few months, as it was missing from the wiki
reporting schedule page [1] (*blush* - I'm a mentor for that
project...).

Recent discussions also show that Rat is missing from the incubator
home page, and the status of Composer seems unclear.

Having a master status file and generating the reporting schedule,
project status overview (including mentors names) might be a nice way
to have a traceable single point of maintenance for this data. And/or
maybe deriving part of this info from svn setup and authorizations.

Assuming there's agreement on the problem, do we have any volunteers
for working on that?

-Bertrand

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ReportingSchedule
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/

Re: Reliability of the podling reports schedule and list of incubator projects

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jul 5, 2008, at 18:50, Craig L Russell wrote:

> A very simple approach would be to send a message to each podling-
> dev list reminding them to check the http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ReportingSchedule
>  page and file a report if they're due.
>
> I don't think it's an imposition or a burden to remind people that
> as a podling they have responsibilities to the incubator. And if
> they see that they're not even on the page, it might catalyze some
> positive behavior.

Heya, I'm new so I thought I just lurk and don't comment,
but these were my exact thoughts when we ran into the
issue of having to produce a report quickly with CouchDB.

Especially with new projects that have their heads swirling
from all the new things they must learn with the ASF and
the Incubator it is understandable that they don't have this
on their radar and a simple email notification sounds like
a good problem to solve this.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...creating a JIRA sounds like a good idea
>
> Thanks for replying, I have created
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-78

>> i was wondering whether we might be able to hack something onto the
>> DOAP used by people.apache.org
>
> Sounds like a good approach.

wonder whether maven would allow foreign namespaces in a pom: this
would allow projects to use a maven pom to store DOAP (and other RDF
data)

switching to an algorithmic approach to podling reporting would suit
automation. for example, map podling names -> number then taking
modulo.

>> ...i was hoping that someone might jump but i might be able to find some
>> time once i've completed the work i'm doing on audit...
>
> Cool - I don't think it's urgent, but with the increasing number of
> podlings I'm probably not the only one to have lost track of some of
> them ;-)

yep: i missed RAT's report last month

- robert

Re: Reliability of the podling reports schedule and list of incubator projects

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does aynone have an opinon on this? If we agree that there's a
> problem, we might at least create a jira issue to remind us to fix it
> when someone has time.

creating a JIRA sounds like a good idea

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With my (shiny new ;-) board hat on,

:-)

>> I'm following up on a a concern
>> expressed at yesterday's board meeting.
>>
>> It seems like the schedule of incubator podling reports to the board,
>> as well as the list of incubating projects at [2] is not very reliable
>> - probably due to the well-known "redundant and scattered metadata"
>> problem.

yep

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,