Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hubbard, Charles (ISSAtlanta)" <CH...@iss.net> on 2000/05/01 19:14:46 UTC

Distributing JSP as Servlets

Hello,

I'm developing using JSP, but when I distribute the software is there a away
I can only distribute the generated servlet and not the JSP?  How does that
impact my references to other JSP pages?

thanks
charlie

Re: Distributing JSP as Servlets

Posted by "Fred R." <fr...@sourcetechcorp.com>.
Kyle Cordes wrote:

> > I'm developing using JSP, but when I distribute the software is there
> a away
> > I can only distribute the generated servlet and not the JSP?  How does
> that
> > impact my references to other JSP pages

JSP 1.1 spec has a section  on this. It essentially says  that you can package
a JSP generated servlet into a WAR file for distribution.

Fred R.

Re: Distributing JSP as Servlets

Posted by Kyle Cordes <ky...@kylecordes.com>.
> I'm developing using JSP, but when I distribute the software is there
a away
> I can only distribute the generated servlet and not the JSP?  How does
that
> impact my references to other JSP pages

In IBM's implementation (WebSphere), the JSP generated servlet gets the
static HTML from the JSP by opening the JSP and reading it in to a
buffer.  In other words, you still needs the JSPs around even though
they are compiled - so this definately would not work there.

[  kyle@kylecordes.com   |    http://DiskWise.com : free   ]
[ BDE Alternatives Guide | internet-based file storage and ]
[  www.kylecordes.com    |  sharing, with version history  ]